Rugby

Play it? Watch it? Listen to it? Post it! Discuss Movies, TV, DVDs, CDs, and Evangelion! Compare Computer, Video, Pen & Paper, Sports, and any other games you want. Most anything entertaining is fair game.
ampersand
Redshirt

Rugby

Post by ampersand » Thu Oct 31, 2013 2:28 am

So I'm perusing the BBC. There's a Rugby League World Cup which pits National Rugby clubs against each other. What is fascinating is that there two big groups of 4 and two small groups of 3. The UK is primarily hosting the tourney. England is in Group A and Wales is in a Group D.

So is the United States, and they have a win. England lost their first match. Would be interesting if Wales lost to USA and play either England or Australia in the first knock-out round.

Gowerlypuff
Redshirt

Re: Rugby

Post by Gowerlypuff » Thu Oct 31, 2013 8:46 pm

This is the Rugby League world cup.
There are two types of Rugby. League and Union.
The rules are different for each. League seems to be more geared towards fast paced, flowing matches.
Union is set towards more of a strategic, slower paced game.

There's way more money in League and Union. Personally, I prefer Union.

However, you CANNOT be in both. You can move from one to the other, however.

See The usual Wikipedianess for more details.

It seems The British have a better national side in Union than in League, whereas others seem to put more into their League sides.
Sloth: Am I a year behind already?
February was some lyrics or quotes month or something. I don't even remember what year all this was.

Rorschach
The Immoral Immortal

Post by Rorschach » Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:53 am

It's an interesting and historical distinction.

Traditionally, Rugby League fans and players like to kiss other boys on the mouth and then bum them up the bum whereas Rugby Union fans and players like to bum other boys up them bum and then kiss them on the mouth.
To Let

ampersand
Redshirt

Post by ampersand » Fri Nov 01, 2013 3:58 pm

But neither version involves wanking, correct?

Rorschach
The Immoral Immortal

Post by Rorschach » Mon Nov 04, 2013 3:08 pm

I'm not that familiars with the bummers, but if Brokeback Mountain has taught me nothing else, it's that they tend not to bother with the foreplay.
To Let

ampersand
Redshirt

Post by ampersand » Thu Nov 07, 2013 2:22 am

Interesting play so far. USA defeated Wales 24 - 16, meaning the last game left is an match with Scotland, who is tied with Italy for the Group C lead. USA is the Group D winner, so they will face the winner of Group A, which is most likely Koala humping Australia. Should Scotland win (and have a point differential better than Italy if Italy beat Tonga), they will most likely face Sheep Screwing New Zealand in the Quarters.

Depending how bad England fares, they could play Samoa or France. England lost to Australia, but so is everyone else. They beat Ireland soundly, but so has everyone else. England and Fiji will play to see who is second and who is third, which will basically determine if they can avoid to play on the Aussie side of the bracket again. (Though, New Zealand isn't a walk in the park either.)

But it will be interesting how well Scotland fares against a "surprising" United States side.

Rorschach
The Immoral Immortal

Post by Rorschach » Mon Nov 11, 2013 3:19 pm

Scotland beat Japan over the weekend. That any good to anyone?

Oh. And there's a international friendly here on Friday night. Scotland vs the USA. Living as close to Hampden as I do, at least there's unlikely to be many away fans.
To Let