FIFA World Cup 2014

Play it? Watch it? Listen to it? Post it! Discuss Movies, TV, DVDs, CDs, and Evangelion! Compare Computer, Video, Pen & Paper, Sports, and any other games you want. Most anything entertaining is fair game.
Rorschach
The Immoral Immortal

Re: FIFA World Cup 2014

Post by Rorschach » Tue Nov 19, 2013 3:45 pm

No. Does obvious hyperbole not suggest levity?

Anyway. Just answer the question. <grr>
To Let

Deacon
Shining Adonis

FIFA World Cup 2014

Post by Deacon » Tue Nov 19, 2013 3:52 pm

Heh, no, the sarcasm was strongly felt. Does a ridiculous question not indicate levity? :)

I don't know whether there's a single home stadium. My guess is no. This is a pretty big country, and it would suck to make everyone travel a long way to see any games. They probably rotate. But again, I don't know.
The follies which a man regrets the most in his life are those which he didn't commit when he had the opportunity. - Helen Rowland, A Guide to Men, 1922

Rorschach
The Immoral Immortal

Post by Rorschach » Tue Nov 19, 2013 3:54 pm

Your stately forum presence rarely indicates mere levity. :P
To Let

The Cid
Redshirt

Post by The Cid » Tue Nov 19, 2013 4:27 pm

The home matches rotate to a bunch of different places. During World Cup qualifying they played in a different stadium for every home match they had.

I've heard of Columbus, Ohio being a sort of national team "home," but it's not officially designated as such. There's been talk from time to time about the national team having its own stadium, but that's kind of tough to do with a big country like ours.
Hirschof wrote:I'm waiting for day you people start thinking with portals.

Rorschach
The Immoral Immortal

Post by Rorschach » Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:54 am

Yeah, that makes sense.

We won last night, by the by. Forget Norway. So if nothing else, we're getting better in meaningless friendlies.
To Let

ampersand
Redshirt

Post by ampersand » Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:50 pm

USA matches should rotate between four locations: Columbus, OH; Kansas City, KS; and Portland, OR. Maybe they should add Miami whenever the next MLS stadium is built.

The Cid
Redshirt

Post by The Cid » Fri Nov 22, 2013 2:39 pm

No Seattle? Seattle had the most impressive crowd during WC qualifying.

ampersand
Redshirt

Post by ampersand » Sat Nov 23, 2013 11:10 pm

Yeah, Seattle should be in there too.

NorthernComfort
Redshirt

Post by NorthernComfort » Sat Jun 14, 2014 2:02 am

It's begun.

Spain got slapped all the way back to the 2010 world cup.

Brazil is doing their thing.

Can't wait to see Germany in action, and see the US face off against Ghana again.
"I guess I have a gift for expressing pedestrian tastes. In a way, it's kind of depressing." -Bill Watterson

Rorschach
The Immoral Immortal

Post by Rorschach » Sat Jun 14, 2014 4:45 pm

Dodgy officiating, my team in the office sweep being shockingly pumped last night, and I haven't managed to see a game yet. Dammit.
To Let

The Cid
Redshirt

Post by The Cid » Sat Jun 14, 2014 4:52 pm

NorthernComfort wrote:Spain got slapped all the way back to the 2010 world cup.
That was awesome. I was so disappointed in Brazil's opening match, and Mexico's match wasn't exactly a thrilling display of the beautiful game. It was nice to see the Netherlands actually play like an elite world team in this tournament of the world's elite teams. Also, if they play like that the rest of the way they're going to win. I guess that's kind of stating the obvious.
NorthernComfort wrote:Brazil is doing their thing.
I expected so much more of them. They looked nervous. (Then again, this of all World Cups, with all that's going on in Brazil off the pitch, I suppose there's just a tiny bit of pressure on them.) A weird couple of calls (their penalty, Croatia's waved-off-for-no-reason goal) gave them the match. It'll be interesting to see them play Mexico, a team that alternates between barely-watchable and incredible. Mexico's also probably the best national team that's never won the tournament. If Brazil comes out so tentatively again, Mexico might try and take the opportunity to use it as a launch to the next level.
NorthernComfort wrote:US face off against Ghana again.
My main hope is that we do well enough in this World Cup that people can finally retire the ancient jokes about how America sucks at/doesn't care about soccer. We're a regular in this tournament. We're easily the second-best English-speaking national team. (Honestly, we're only a couple steps behind England at this point. Give it a Cup cycle or two we might pull even talent-wise.) We have a league that's actually starting to come into its own as a serious thing. And oh by the way our women are as good as anyone in the world at it. Yeah, America doesn't care about soccer.

Deacon
Shining Adonis

Post by Deacon » Sun Jun 15, 2014 3:12 pm

I hate to break it to you, but no, America cares as much about the American national team as Miami Heat fans do about the Miami Heat. Extreme bandwagonners with tiny attention spans. MLS is unlikely to ever compete with NHL for the 4th favorite team sport in this country (behind NFL, MLB, NBA). I think interest will continue to rise, but it will NEVER mean to America what the it means to most of the rest of the world.
The follies which a man regrets the most in his life are those which he didn't commit when he had the opportunity. - Helen Rowland, A Guide to Men, 1922

The Cid
Redshirt

Post by The Cid » Sun Jun 15, 2014 4:12 pm

Deacon wrote:I think interest will continue to rise, but it will NEVER mean to America what the it means to most of the rest of the world.
I'm not saying we're going to become a soccer-first nation. I'm not saying we'll be up there in terms of passion with Brazil. What I'm saying is that this narrative of "America doesn't care" is entirely false. We care plenty. Not as much as, say, France, but considerably more than lots of other countries. (Including India, China, and every English speaking nation that isn't England.) We're also not bad at it anymore. Not by a long shot. We're one of the top teams in our region, a World Cup regular, and dangerous enough to give a good match to just about anyone in the world at this point. It isn't unreasonable to believe the USA will pull even with, or even pass, England in the world rankings a few World Cup cycles down the road. No, we won't live and die with it like some English fans, but we're not the only World Cup nation that divides our attention across multiple sports.

We're unlikely to be #1, though in tournaments you never know what might happen someday. Our athletes have too many choices, talent is lost to other sports. Still, this idea that we're awful at soccer and that we don't care about it hasn't been true since the early 1990s. No, we're not ignoring "the world's game." We're absolutely a part of it now. Not the star of the show, but we're certainly not just watching passively between innings of the baseball game anymore either.

Rorschach
The Immoral Immortal

Post by Rorschach » Sun Jun 15, 2014 9:21 pm

The Cid wrote:We care plenty. Not as much as, say, France, but considerably more than lots of other countries. (Including India, China, and every English speaking nation that isn't England.)
That's interesting. I'd like to see your source for that.

Don't confuse incompetence with indifference. Football's been our national obsession for well over a century.
Our passion is pretty much all we've got.
To Let

The Cid
Redshirt

Post by The Cid » Mon Jun 16, 2014 12:19 am

Rorschach wrote:That's interesting. I'd like to see your source for that.
If you're mad that I'm omitting Scotland, sorry. I had thought making what is frankly an obvious point would be easier than this.

My source for the rest of it? It's all over the damned place. First, while MLS may not be an elite club league what it is is stable. It's working. It's not going to just fold one day. Places like Seattle and Portland have embraced the game in a way I've heard all my life America is somehow incapable of doing. New York is about to get a second club with much fanfare. As Deacon noted it's nowhere near North America's "big four" professional leagues, but it's also miles beyond the old NASL.

Then there's the matter of the US Men's National Team being a consistent World Cup entrant. A plateau for this team is likely coming, but my assertion that our team could stand on even footing with that of England before too long is really not insane. The teams are, after all, heading in opposite directions over the past twenty years.

There's more. The English Premier League is big business in the United States, with the every match being made available to us as they happen. Networks wouldn't bid against one another for that contract if there weren't consistent and growing interest. A recent poll suggested that, at least among America's youth, Major League Soccer has pulled even with Major League Baseball in terms of interest. World stars are becoming more and more famous in the US as well. Before, our World Cup coverage was headlined by the handful of nations with any actual prayer of ever winning "the world's game." Now it's headlined by players.

The World Cup just overshadowed the US Open in terms of coverage. Which is huge, as golf might be a boring old person's sport but the majors typically enjoy a ton of coverage in the United States.

As we have many sports options, of course there's only so much we can get into any given one, particularly one that has lagged behind for so long domestically. But my point, and I swear this isn't starting anything, is that we are no longer abstaining from "the world's game."