FIFA World Cup 2014

Play it? Watch it? Listen to it? Post it! Discuss Movies, TV, DVDs, CDs, and Evangelion! Compare Computer, Video, Pen & Paper, Sports, and any other games you want. Most anything entertaining is fair game.
Deacon
Shining Adonis

FIFA World Cup 2014

Post by Deacon » Wed Sep 11, 2013 4:36 am

Congratulations to the US National Team for qualifying tonight for the 2014 World Cup by defeating Mexico "Dos a Cero" while Honduras beat out Panama.

I love when Mexico takes a beating in international soccer, and for it to be another dos a cero (2 to 0) win is just icing on the cake. Maybe the US will be competing with a full squad moving forward, with everyone healthy (including Bradley) and no outrageous and scandalous yellow cards keeping players out of the game.

FIFA absolutely must do something about the flopping. Yellow cards for flagrant flopping and reverse the bookings that are clearly and wildly wrong after review.
The follies which a man regrets the most in his life are those which he didn't commit when he had the opportunity. - Helen Rowland, A Guide to Men, 1922

Rorschach
The Immoral Immortal

Re: FIFA World Cup 2014

Post by Rorschach » Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:25 am

Your first paragraph immediately raised a question in my mind, but the opening of your second answered it.

What is it with us and our pesky Southern neighbours? :P

Congratulations, America. Maybe I'll support you next year. Or Italy. It depends on who's doing better. That's how my forefathers handled World events.
flopping
That's beautiful, man. That made my morning. We dive in the box. You flop in the box. I'm not sure which I prefer.
'Simulation' as I believe the official term to be, has been discussed internationally of late and I elieve that FIFA rules dictate it does require a straight yellow. Of course, policing that is something quite different as evidenced by Scottish teams being cheated by sneaky foreigners every single time we cross the Channel.

Speaking of which, Scotland were the only Home Countries team to win our tie last night. Which is like winning the World Cup. Maybe even better. We're not even bottom of our group any more. In your leek-eating faces, Wales!
To Let

Deacon
Shining Adonis

FIFA World Cup 2014

Post by Deacon » Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:17 am

I love that such tiny countries are forced to scare up a national team :)

Last night a Mexican took a melodramatic dive in the box as you say, and the ref knew better, keeping his whistle silent. But...no booking for the Mexican player. Frustrating.
The follies which a man regrets the most in his life are those which he didn't commit when he had the opportunity. - Helen Rowland, A Guide to Men, 1922

Rorschach
The Immoral Immortal

Post by Rorschach » Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:24 am

Deacon wrote:I love that such tiny countries are forced to scare up a national team :)
We should. We invented the sport. Probably. :p

Yeah, there does seem to be a little wiggle-room between not awarding a penalty and not punishing a dive. It seems to depend on the referee.
To Let

The Cid
Redshirt

Post by The Cid » Sat Sep 14, 2013 5:15 pm

Deacon wrote:"Dos a Cero"
Dude this team is special. The fans are there. The team is good. We're in this thing now. No, not the way Brazil and Spain and Germany are, but we're around. At least, people can't keep talking about how little we care about this sport anymore. I mean, the American Outlaws are really loud.

My favorite part of this team has been the humbling of Jurgen Klinsmann. As a kid, I had a German neighbor. The kid was born in Germany and wore it on his sleeve. He was kind of the entire neighborhood's guide to soccer. And the dude adored Klinsmann. My lasting image of this neighbor was him screaming "KLINSMANN!" every time he would play a video game version of the sport against anybody. (Not surprisingly, he kicked our teeth in at Genesis-era FIFA.) So when I started following the game at large, Klinsmann was a manager and I had to follow the guy because of that.

When he took over the US team, he seemed really full of himself. He seemed like he let all the kids like the one in the above paragraph go to his head. His early press conferences were all about how his style was going to save things and change everything. In the early going, this did not yield results. Moreover, he learned that being the manager of the national team isn't quite as big a deal in the US as it is in his homeland. Now he's not talking about himself, he's not talking about how he can turn players around, and as this happens the team is getting better and better. The other day, in my living room, I flipped over to the USA match between innings of the Red Sox game, and wanted to shout "KLINSMANN!" Then I realized I live in an apartment and my neighbors might be the early to bed types for all I know and thought better of it. But still.

So yeah. Go USA. Things are looking up.
Hirschof wrote:I'm waiting for day you people start thinking with portals.

ampersand
Redshirt

Post by ampersand » Fri Oct 18, 2013 3:54 am

Must be humbling for the Mexican fan to realise they're in a playoff with New Zealand because of the US winning over Panama.

Kiwi fans, don't drink the agua in Mexico City. Mexican fans, you're bound to be screwed by sheep.

Rorschach
The Immoral Immortal

Post by Rorschach » Sat Oct 19, 2013 9:42 am

Up to #35 bay-bee.

Before you know it, we'll be winning games that actually matter. Maybe.
To Let

The Cid
Redshirt

Post by The Cid » Fri Nov 15, 2013 2:54 pm

USA hosts Scotland this afternoon (tonight for Rorschach and the other, considerably less important people of Scotland) in a "friendly." Because if there's one word you can use to describe both places, friendly...okay, isn't the word you'd pick, but still.

Rorschach
The Immoral Immortal

Post by Rorschach » Fri Nov 15, 2013 3:09 pm

The Cid wrote:USA hosts Scotland
I hope your team think the same. If they don't show up here, we might actually have a chance of getting a 'win'. :P

I might even tune in if it's on council telly. Living beside Hampden as we do, usually we're plagued by all manner of fans but I doubt there will be many away supporters.
To Let

The Cid
Redshirt

Post by The Cid » Fri Nov 15, 2013 4:09 pm

Dammit soccer, why do you have to be different than every other sport? In the other sports it's (Visiting team) vs. (Home team.) In soccer it's backward. So I saw "Scotland vs. USA" and I figured that, since USA was listed second, they must be the home team. But noooooo...

Deacon
Shining Adonis

Post by Deacon » Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:03 pm

Yeah, basically you're supposed to be able to equate it to Team1 @ Team2. Not the same with the ol' footy?

ampersand
Redshirt

Post by ampersand » Sat Nov 16, 2013 3:30 am

I'm just thrilled Iceland tied Croatia 0 - 0. A European country going to the World Cup with a population about the size of Brighton I just find amusing.

Rorschach
The Immoral Immortal

Post by Rorschach » Sun Nov 17, 2013 8:55 am

Deacon wrote:Yeah, basically you're supposed to be able to equate it to Team1 @ Team2. Not the same with the ol' footy?
Nope. I dunno. You Americans with your hats and your ways. Although your players have much better names than ours.

Except for Crawford Baptie.
To Let

Rorschach
The Immoral Immortal

Post by Rorschach » Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:04 am

Well. All recovered from your humbling at our mighty hands? Probably.

It just occurred to me to ask: does the US team have a 'home' stadium? Or do they travel about? I know that the former doesn't make much sense but if the SFA has taught me anything, it's that common sense and the blazers rarely walk hand-in-hand.
To Let

Deacon
Shining Adonis

Post by Deacon » Tue Nov 19, 2013 2:35 pm

Does a nil-nil draw count as a humbling?