Breaking Bad

Play it? Watch it? Listen to it? Post it! Discuss Movies, TV, DVDs, CDs, and Evangelion! Compare Computer, Video, Pen & Paper, Sports, and any other games you want. Most anything entertaining is fair game.
FireAza
Redshirt

Re: Breaking Bad

Post by FireAza » Tue Sep 10, 2013 6:59 am

Sure, there's been other non-episodic American TV shows before, but they were definitely the exception. It seems like AMC has made this style of TV-making their modus operandi (probably why they call themselves "TV for movie people") and I salute them!
"For AUS$300, you get FireAza drawing your screen image." -MartinBlank "Oh shit. For once, FireAza is right." -Deacon
"FireAza, if you're really that sneaky and quiet then you can sleep in my bed anytime, mister." -kizba

The Cid
Redshirt

Post by The Cid » Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:53 pm

Deacon wrote:Though I may be giving too much credit to television before The Sopranos.
Homicide: Life on the Street and Twin Peaks both came before The Sopranos. Yes, ever since the late nineties things have been kicked into a higher gear with television drama, and now there's a wealth of them, but there were some shows before The Sopranos that were memorable as well.
FireAza wrote:Which comes at a good time, since I'd pretty much given up on American TV shows then along comes The Walking Dead, Game of Thrones and Breaking Bad, vundabar!
I already mentioned Twin Peaks, but there are a lot of others. Granted, most of them have come since The Sopranos, so fairly recently. The Shield takes the old "cop show" American TV trope and pumps it full of voltage. The Wire tells an amazingly detailed story about everything surrounding gang violence in Baltimore. Mad Men is an incredible character drama with mystery, the sixties, and incredibly beautiful women everywhere. I personally really liked Rescue Me, which is supposed to be about New York firemen but is really about alcoholism, but you have to take Denis Leary seriously to watch it, and I recognize that's not easy. Justified is about a US Marshall and utter badass, and it's adapted from the stories of the great Elmore Leonard. Deadwood is the "golden age of TV" making a good old fashioned American western. So if you like those you'll like Deadwood. Homeland is apparently really great, but I've never seen it to describe it and just judging from what little I know I think it might be tough to watch if you're not American. Oh, and there's Boardwalk Empire, which stars Steve Buscemi and includes Martin Scorcese as an executive producer, and is set during Prohibition. (In short: Martin Scorcese put his name on it and Al Capone is a character in it. Really, what else needs said?) And those shows aren't the only ones.

Also, about Walking Dead:
Spoiler: (click to reveal/hide)
That show needs to turn into The Walking Daryl. I'm so tired of, more or less, every other character.
FireAza wrote:It seems like AMC has made this style of TV-making their modus operandi (probably why they call themselves "TV for movie people") and I salute them!
Careful with AMC. I love Breaking Bad and Mad Men, and The Walking Dead is entertaining, but their shows get kind of thin kind of fast. I do not recommend The Killing. Hell on Wheels looks great and hasn't really gone anywhere. I don't hold out a lot of hope for Low Winter Sun either. It's a great network, but not everything works. Also, for "TV for movie people," they do have a few reality shows, which is mildly unsettling.
Hirschof wrote:I'm waiting for day you people start thinking with portals.

Deacon
Shining Adonis

Post by Deacon » Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:40 pm

I saw no mention of Sons of Anarchy or The Americans on FX.
The follies which a man regrets the most in his life are those which he didn't commit when he had the opportunity. - Helen Rowland, A Guide to Men, 1922

The Cid
Redshirt

Post by The Cid » Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:43 pm

Oh, crap. Nice catch. I love The Americans.
Hirschof wrote:I'm waiting for day you people start thinking with portals.