NFL 2013

Play it? Watch it? Listen to it? Post it! Discuss Movies, TV, DVDs, CDs, and Evangelion! Compare Computer, Video, Pen & Paper, Sports, and any other games you want. Most anything entertaining is fair game.
The Cid
Redshirt

Re: NFL 2013

Post by The Cid » Wed Jun 26, 2013 3:19 pm

"aaron. ur fired. tell oj we said hi lol." -How I like to imagine the actual tweet, which I have not seen.

Yep. Weird. So weird that the Red Sox of all entities have become the stable restorers of sanity. You know. The organization that just hit rock bottom last year in a way that would make Tony Stark cringe. The organization whose ownership group has a habit of badmouthing just about everyone who leaves town. The organization that owns an English soccer team that is itself weird and screwed up. That's what passes for "normalcy" these days. Them.
Hirschof wrote:I'm waiting for day you people start thinking with portals.

ampersand
Redshirt

Post by ampersand » Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:39 pm

After the initial "Wow" and wondering who did Belichick talk to informing him that the shit was going to hit the fan, my next thought was, "So Gronk is gone (surgery), and Hernandez too...that leaves Tebow as TE." That's what will keep Belichick up at nights, if he sleeps at all.

And I thought a current player committing suicide at the stadium was the strangest thing I would have to read this year.

ampersand
Redshirt

NFL 2013

Post by ampersand » Sun Jun 30, 2013 3:13 am

Read a stat that since 2000 Cincinnati and Minnesota tie for most arrest by NFL players with 40. The percentage of NFL players arrested since 2000 is 2%. National percentage: 4%.

Saw this on Google Plus, somewhere.

The Cid
Redshirt

Post by The Cid » Sun Jun 30, 2013 1:55 pm

ampersand wrote:"So Gronk is gone (surgery), and Hernandez too...that leaves Tebow as TE."
Okay. Brakes. Hit them.

I like Tebow more than most football people, but I'd rather start a "replacement-level" (to borrow a sabermetric term) tight end off someone else's scrap heap than Tebow. I don't think there's any way that even Bill Belichick can train somebody to play a position they've never played before--and play it on an NFL level--in just two and a half months. It seems more likely that there's someone they can invite to camp that knows how to play the position well enough to fill in until Gronkowski returns. Or, Hell, the Patriots simply return to the 2007 spread offense and tight ends become superfluous.

Tebow needs a coach that won't think of him in the traditional NFL positions. Creativity is a must. It's not like there's no skill there--there's a great set of skills, really, just a set of skills that don't fit into any NFL position anyone's ever heard of before. He's fast, he's not easy to tackle, he doesn't have much of an arm but he can throw a short pass, he's afraid of nothing...find the right set of "trick plays" and he'll serve his purpose.

The Cid
Redshirt

Post by The Cid » Mon Aug 26, 2013 2:59 pm

I'm just going to leave this here. It's a promotion Amazon.com is running where, if you purchase the Anniversary Edition of Madden you get NFL Sunday Ticket over the computer/tablet/et cetera. Just in case anyone here didn't know this was a thing, I thought I'd give you the heads-up.

Deacon
Shining Adonis

Post by Deacon » Mon Aug 26, 2013 3:22 pm

Interesting. $100 video game, but you can watch NFL games on your phone if desired. I'm not sure if my proper DirecTV Sunday Ticket subscription has been renewed automatically, but I'm not sure it's really worth $225.
The follies which a man regrets the most in his life are those which he didn't commit when he had the opportunity. - Helen Rowland, A Guide to Men, 1922

The Cid
Redshirt

Post by The Cid » Mon Aug 26, 2013 3:51 pm

Considering that MLB's online package costs more than that and doesn't come packaged with a video game, it's a Hell of a deal. One I couldn't pass up, since otherwise I wouldn't get to watch my favorite team very often.

ampersand
Redshirt

Post by ampersand » Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:21 am

I just go with the radio audio feed that's fine.

Just putting it up there: If the Jets were a dog, it would have been dressed up as a lion and shown in a Chinese zoo. Good lord was that last preseason game ridiculous.

The Cid
Redshirt

Post by The Cid » Tue Aug 27, 2013 2:29 pm

ampersand wrote:Good lord was that last preseason game ridiculous.
Good. Serves spectators right for trying to sit through preseason games. Don't you people have some baseball to watch? :lol:

I really can't stand the preseason stuff. The games are terrible. The only way a team can "lose" in the preseason is to see players get hurt. Of course, this doesn't stop the analysts from overthinking every preseason game, taking the young players who do well and calling them The Next Big Thing while declaring veterans who have "bad" preseasons to be done. Meanwhile, no starter has played three full quarters combined across their three preseason games. Preseason tells us nothing besides who's hurt.

The Cid
Redshirt

Post by The Cid » Thu Sep 05, 2013 5:26 pm

Okay. Here we go. Picks for week one:

Home team in CAPS
Spoiler: (click to reveal/hide)
Thursday night
DENVER (-8.5) over Baltimore - I like Denver in this game. Too many people like them and it's one of those Peyton Manning night games where you just know the announcers are going to be talking about how great he is for the entire game.
Sunday early games
New England (-6.5) over BUFFALO - Tangent for this week: Why you should be in a football pool and not a fantasy league. I'm so happy to have joined a pool--you just pick the games (much like this) and the guy with the most correct picks wins each week. You can root for teams instead of individual players. It works to my advantage because I can pick the Patriots and have a reason to root for them so I'm not That Guy when my friends are watching the Pats. It's also going to give me the chance to catch up with an old NFL friend, as I'll discuss later.
Tampa Bay (-4) over JETS - The Buccaneers' defense had better be good. Last year they were so bad. They took a ten win team to 7-9 last year. I'm optimistic about this season. But I'm also nervous, because Darrelle Revis' knee is the most important player on the team right now and I don't know if DRK's going to show up or not. I'm still all in on Josh Freeman. I like making Half-Life references during football games almost as much as I enjoyed making "the Bucs defeated Gannon to win the Super Bowl" jokes ten years ago. I also think he's really good, and his team has let him down but he gets all the blame.
Atlanta (+2.5) over NEW ORLEANS - Unpopular opinion and probably a homer opinion at that: I don't think New Orleans is going to be very good this year. For one thing, I don't believe in Rob Ryan. At all. He's not a good defensive coordinator. For another, I don't think a coach is worth the three to five wins that people are predicting. I mean, Sean Payton is a good coach, but I don't think anyone in the league is that far ahead of everyone else.
Kansas City (-2.5) over JACKSONVILLE - So is Andy Reid a good coach again? He went from being good to being overrated to being fired to being good again. I think he's good but I think his fatal flaws never change.
CAROLINA (+2.5) over Seattle - I think Carolina's going to be pretty good this year. I'm not sold on Seattle entirely yet, though they were really good last year.
Cincinnati (+3.5) over CHICAGO - I want the Bears to be good, but I don't really trust their coach. The Bengals are a good team. I like their all-around team.
CLEVELAND (+0.5) over Miami - Cleveland's my big surprise team this year. I really like the Browns to turn some heads and make the playoffs. Maybe it's because the Pirates are doing so well in baseball and the Clippers have been good in recent years, so I just don't think those traditional losing teams are going to keep losing anymore.
Minnesota (+3.5) over DETROIT - The Vikings should probably improve off their 2012, since Peterson's superhuman and the rest of their offense is young. Detroit's a divisive team, people either like them or really dislike them.
INDIANAPOLIS (-6.5) over Oakland - Is everyone talking about this Clowney guy because the only football last week was college football, or are we going to have to hear people talk about him all year? I bring this up because everyone's picking Oakland to end up at the top of the draft, so his name's going to come up with Oakland a lot. I dislike the NCAA more every year. This whole situation is ridiculous. Anyway, the Colts are probably going to win by a lot.
PITTSBURGH (-6.5) over Tennessee - I don't know if the Steelers are going to be much this year, but Tennessee might be really bad.
Sunday late games
ST. LOUIS (-5.5) over Arizona - Bradford's one of those quarterbacks that people are way too down on. He could randomly break out and do something crazy this year.
Green Bay (+4.5) over SAN FRANCISCO - I don't have a lot of solid reasoning as to why, but I think San Francisco's going to be a tiny bit of a letdown after last year. They might still be good, they might still be in the playoffs, but I don't think they'll be as good as they were last year.
Sunday night
DALLAS (-2.5) over Giants - Dallas is going to be good this year. I think their defense is going to be much improved last year. Monte Kiffin is better at picking apart NFL passing offenses than any defensive coordinator I've ever seen. A passing team like the Giants could be in some real trouble.
Monday night
Philadelphia (+4.5) over WASHINGTON - I don't love the Redskins. Griffin needs to come back from a knee injury that few people come back from entirely, and they rely on him a lot. Chip Kelly's Gimmick Offense is going to work early in the season.
Houston (-2.5) over SAN DIEGO - The AFC West is going to be awful this year. The Chargers might give the Raiders a run for their draft pick.

Deacon
Shining Adonis

NFL 2013

Post by Deacon » Wed Sep 11, 2013 4:55 am

Why are shit heads like Ndamukong Suh tolerated in the NFL? Between outrageously unprofessional thugs like him and Albert Haynesworth and shameful ghetto-fabulous animal torturing felons like Michael VIck and apparently about half the Dallas Cowboys on any given year, it really tarnishes the NFL's reputation and makes me disgusted all over again at how much bullshit is put up with in this stupid league that simultaneously disallows simple stuff like removing your helmet after a touchdown.
The follies which a man regrets the most in his life are those which he didn't commit when he had the opportunity. - Helen Rowland, A Guide to Men, 1922

ampersand
Redshirt

Post by ampersand » Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:51 pm

You know when a team is bad is when a broadcast station has to issue an apologize that they are mandated by the NFL to show the team's away games. No wonder there was a rally for Tebow. Anyway, I decided not to make predictions until two weeks of games are done. It's called validating your starting data in the forecasting trade.

Kansas City 17, Philadelphia 28. San Diego shows you can use Time of Possession because Oregon, er, I mean the Eagles do not have that good of a defense. Kansas City, and especially Andy Reid, doesn't have a good running game to shorten the game. Actually Andy Reid probably doesn't know much about running in general.

Houston 31, Baltimore 17. The AFC North is 2 - 6 total, meaning when they're not playing each other, they're 0 - 4. I expect this to continue against a really good Houston team who probably is the front runner for the #2 seed in the AFC.

New York Giants 10, Carolina 13. At the rate this is going, Eli Manning is projected to have 56 INT and only 40 TD. The only thing good for the Giants is that Carolina has allow scored an average of 15 points. This could be a first team to blackjack (21) wins.

Detroit 21, Washington 24, OT. Maybe the best thing for Washington is for RGIII to get injured again, and then tell him if he mouths off about getting healthy again, he'll be swimming in concrete boots in the Potomac. Capiesh?

San Diego 21, Tennessee 28. I'm going against the Vegas convention (+3 San Diego) because there is a 30% chance of precipitation. Which means more likely to see runs, which Tennessee is just a iota better than San Diego. And besides, Rivers is due to screw it up again.

Arizona 17, New Orleans 27. Why is New Orleans not viewed higher even though they are 2 - 0? Brees is projected to only score 24 TD (3 so far) and they have no rushing TD yet. That's bottom ten in offensive points, folks. Brees needs to pick-up the pace.

Tampa Bay 7, New England 10. If the team hates Josh Freeman so much, trade him to Jacksonville for some unused Disney Theme Ride Passes. (This might be the game where Brady jumps the shark, so to speak.)

Green Bay 24, Cincinnati 17. Why can't airlines serve brats on flights?

St. Louis 21, Dallas 17. First team that runs for 100 yards will win. Both teams average in the 60's.

Cleveland 3, Minnesota 21. I think Peterson will run for 200 yards at least.

Atlanta 21, Miami 17. Today is National Cheeseburger Day.

Buffalo 15, New York Jets 12. And tomorrow is Talk like a Pirate Day.

Indianapolis 28, San Francisco 31, OT. A possible barn burner of a game.

Jacksonville 0, Seattle 42; Chicago 35, Pittsburgh 3; Oakland 17, Denver 49. The triumvirate of "Shoot Me, Shoot Me Now" games. It's going to get ugly really quick.

The Cid
Redshirt

Post by The Cid » Thu Sep 19, 2013 1:15 pm

ampersand wrote:Anyway, I decided not to make predictions until two weeks of games are done.
I took last week off because A) I went 6-10 in week one and B) after the first two weeks I decided I'd much rather stick my head in the sand and pretend that the NFL doesn't start until after the World Series.
Spoiler: (click to reveal/hide)
Thursday Night
Chiefs (+3.5) over EAGLES - This is going to be great. How many times can two teams screw up time of possession? Reid has always struggled with it, and Chip Kelly's whole offense seems to be based off of speed. So expect neither team to be able to hold a lead, because you can't put that much pressure on your defense. You just can't. I don't know why time of possession isn't a big deal in the NFL. Controlling the clock makes games really easy.
Sunday early games
Packers (-2.5) over BENGALS - One of these teams is really good, the other is just pretty good. We'll see which when they play.
Browns (+5.5) over VIKINGS - Trading Trent Richardson does not mean Cleveland is "tanking." Some teams just don't know what to do with running backs, and the Browns are run by former analyst Michael Lombardi, one of those analysts who seems to believe that the only important person on a football field at all times is the quarterback.
COWBOYS (-3.5) over Rams - So Dallas immediately became a team that thrives off of turnovers. Yes, Monte Kiffin is that good as a defensive coordinator. They're going to take the ball from the other team. A lot.
Lions (+1.5) over REDSKINS - And now for a new segment on my picks: How the team the Redskins are playing has an offensive name. This week it's the Detroit Lions. I imagine some early Christians would be upset. Also, I bet there are animal activists somewhere who blah blah blah I thought this idea would be funnier than it's turning out to be. Maybe next week they'll play someone more fun.
TITANS (-3.5) over Chargers - Tennessee has been surprisingly tough over the first couple of weeks. Combine that with a San Diego team that has to play the early game on Sunday and I'll take the Titans.
Buccaneers (+7.5) over PATRIOTS - It would be nice if the Bucs could win outright so the football press could take a break from burying Josh Freeman. Me, I'm angrier at the coaching staff. The defense is a bunch of headhunters, and they surrender fourth-quarter leads like the mob is involved. The offense was designed essentially to fail--draw plays on first and second down followed by a screen pass. So anyway Rob Gronkowski is going to come back in this game and set some sort of tight end record I'm sure. It's going to be a long season. Glad I decided not to go to this one and save my money for Red Sox playoff tickets.
SAINTS (-7.5) over Cardinals - Hey, anyone else notice last week that the Saints are allowed to commit pass interference, tripping receivers and outright shoving them throughout the fourth quarter to make sure they get their NFL-sanctioned victory? Because I noticed. I noticed it plenty.
Giants (-2.5) over PANTHERS - The Giants need the win too much. The NFL would never let Cam Newton get a win over a Manning Brother if the Manning needs the victory.
Texans (-2.5) over RAVENS - Seems like an opportunity for a revenge game for Ed Reed. The Ravens look spotty early.
Sunday late games
Falcons (+1.5) over DOLPHINS - I'm pretty surprised Miami is favored over Atlanta, seeing as Atlanta's such a trendy pick to win the Super Bowl.
JETS (-2.5) over Bills - Really good news for the Jets so far that Smith has looked talented. That and a couple of tight games have backed people down from going after the Jets so viciously.
49ERS (-10.5) over Colts - Not sure I'm entirely sold on the Colts. Harbaugh's going to want to come out and knock them out early. After getting crushed last week the Niners need a big win.
SEAHAWKS (-19.5) over Jaguars - Look at that spread. 19.5. That's an insane spread. I'd take the Jags on principle except that the NFL is trying to make sure they're bad enough that Jacksonville doesn't want them anymore.
Sunday night
Bears (-2.5) over STEELERS - Pittsburgh looks like a shell of itself. Roethlisberger's gone downhill quickly. The defense is showing its age now. Chicago, for their part, just seems to reload on D.
Monday night
BRONCOS (-14.5) over Raiders - I don't want to hear what a rivalry this is until the NFL acknowledges that Cleveland and Pittsburgh are rivals. Until then, the league's lying through their teeth about being excited for old rivalries.

Deacon
Shining Adonis

Post by Deacon » Thu Sep 19, 2013 3:46 pm

The Cid wrote:Dallas immediately became a team that thrives off of turnovers. Yes, Monte Kiffin is that good as a defensive coordinator. They're going to take the ball from the other team. A lot.
How many times did they do so this past week?

ampersand
Redshirt

Post by ampersand » Mon Sep 23, 2013 6:06 am

Teams that I know that are good:
  • Seattle
  • Denver
  • New Orleans
Teams that seem good:
  • Miami
  • Chicago
  • Kansas City
  • Cincinnati
  • Indianapolis
  • Tennessee
The other teams are in the mediocre or worse sections. Of the ones I've listed, the only ones that really wowed me are Seattle and Denver.