NFL 2013

Play it? Watch it? Listen to it? Post it! Discuss Movies, TV, DVDs, CDs, and Evangelion! Compare Computer, Video, Pen & Paper, Sports, and any other games you want. Most anything entertaining is fair game.
ampersand
Redshirt

NFL 2013

Post by ampersand » Tue Jun 04, 2013 5:47 am

Good time as any to start a new thread on the National Football League.

Except it starts with a somewhat somber note: David "Deacon" Jones, Hall of Fame Defensive End, has passed away at the age of 74. Just hit the wire, so no pithy notes from NFL stars or other notables yet.

Deacon
Shining Adonis

NFL 2013

Post by Deacon » Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:53 pm

Damn. Not the source of my name but I always liked him anyway.
The follies which a man regrets the most in his life are those which he didn't commit when he had the opportunity. - Helen Rowland, A Guide to Men, 1922

The Cid
Redshirt

Re: NFL 2013

Post by The Cid » Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:35 pm

Deacon Jones was a great football player and, beyond that, a great retiree. The NFL doesn't have a lot of those the way the NHL and Major League Baseball do--elder statesmen that serve as ambassadors for the game. They're going to need one more now.

---
So, this offseason...
-The Cowboys have made some bold coaching moves. They hired Monte Kiffin to run their defense (brilliant and semi-obvious move), and now Bill Callahan (the man whose Raiders were destroyed by Kiffin's Bucs defense in Super Bowl XXXVII) is calling their offensive plays. I like the Kiffin move, obviously. Today's NFL is a pass-first and pass-second league, so hiring someone who made his reputation off of creating turnovers is a slam-dunk. I'm not so sold on Bill Callahan, but he got a lot out of Rich Gannon, and I can't imagine Tony Romo's not as good as Gannon was. (Semi-related: That there was an NFL quarterback named Gannon, and he led the team that my favorite team beat in the Super Bowl, is a fact that always makes me smile.)

So anyway, is it possible to root for a team's defense while rooting against their offense? Because I'm not used to being pro-Dallas, but as a fan of good defense I can't wait to see how Monte Kiffin picks apart the spread option.

-Philadelphia hired Oregon's gimmicky head coach to make the leap to the NFL. Did his offense really "work" at Oregon? I know they scored a ton of points, but did they ever win anything of any value? Because the Eagles just kinda fired a coach for being good but never good enough.

-Oh, and Andy Reid's in the city that had the best food and needed a coach. Shocking. I like to make fun of him because he makes the same mistakes every game, but he was ultimately pretty effective. I think he could do okay in KC, but they need to figure out what they want their team to be now.

-The Buccaneers went out and got Darrelle Revis from the Jets for their first round draft pick. Revis then signed a contract in which he is guaranteed no money. That's the good news. The bad news is that he's coming off a knee injury that only one person has recovered from in less than 18 months ever (Adrian Peterson), and Ronde Barber retired. Oh, and Greg Schiano is apparently friends with Bill Belichick, because evidently it's possible to befriend Bill Belichick.
Hirschof wrote:I'm waiting for day you people start thinking with portals.

Deacon
Shining Adonis

NFL 2013

Post by Deacon » Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:40 am

I like your breakdowns.
The follies which a man regrets the most in his life are those which he didn't commit when he had the opportunity. - Helen Rowland, A Guide to Men, 1922

The Cid
Redshirt

Post by The Cid » Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:56 pm

So the top story in sports last night had nothing to do with the two sports in their championship round right now. It had nothing to do with the first place baseball team that lost a six run lead and had to win in the fourteenth inning. No mention of the US Open or the recently finished French Open. No World Cup qualifying updates. Nope. Our top story last night? Tim Tebow signed with the Patriots, with the marginal outside possibility that he'll play on a regular basis.

A) Tebow will not be Tom Brady's backup. He will be his own position: the first-string Tebow. The Patriots, if they keep him into the season, will use him in Tebow-centric formations and plays.

B) So, Belichick learned his lesson about taking big-mouthed punk players, huh? Went from taking chances on Haynesworth, Talib, and Ochocinco to taking chances on Tebow.

C) I still think of Tebow as a football version of Kenneth from 30 Rock.

Deacon
Shining Adonis

NFL 2013

Post by Deacon » Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:28 am

He's not a first string anything.

The Cid
Redshirt

Post by The Cid » Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:14 pm

I thought of a perfect compromise for the Redskins "controversy."

The NFL organization in the nation's capitol will undergo a name change if--and only if--everybody asking for that name change at the moment admits they should be embarrassed that it took them until 2013 to notice that the team was named the Redskins. Because that's the weirdest thing about all this to me. Not that there's an outcry--that's the society we're in now for good or for ill--but that the outcry didn't start until very recently. So start wearing shirts that said "I never even noticed the Redskins were named that," or shut up and hope people don't notice again for another most-of-a-century.

ampersand
Redshirt

Post by ampersand » Fri Jun 14, 2013 8:32 am

Yeah, it's not likely it will happen with the Redskins. It's not even the most offensive Indian nickname. My high school is the Savannah (Indian) Savages. Honestly the football team plays more like Slugs.

The Cid
Redshirt

Post by The Cid » Fri Jun 14, 2013 12:26 pm

ampersand wrote:Yeah, it's not likely it will happen with the Redskins
Well, except that it's inevitable. This outcry isn't going to go away, and eventually Dan Snyder will cave to it, and they'll be renamed. After all, it is the same city with the Wizards (formerly known as the Bullets). And some people will always be mad about it, but it will happen.

It's stupid from all angles. I find it really dumb that nobody seemed to notice this until 2013. I really think that should be a bigger talking point--it's not that we know better, it's that we've known better since before I was born and that we're just getting to it now is idiotic. It's stupid as well that there will be some people who cling to the name like it's something sacred. It isn't. It's a football team, and honestly it's a stupid name created by an owner who may well have named it something derogatory on purpose. What exactly would there be to mourn about a name change?

Beyond all that, there's a big secret here: Most sports team names are stupid, so who cares what the team in DC is called? Really. There are some regionally-appropriate names (such as "Dallas Cowboys"), some names with a cool ring to them ("Tampa Bay Buccaneers"), and some names that are just flat-out cool ("Baltimore Ravens"), but for the most part names range from generic to dumb. I won't name any direct examples (okay, I'll name one: The baseball team I root for has, if you think about it at all, one of the dumbest names in sports. Especially because the actual socks on their uniform are not red, hence how we even noticed Curt Schilling's sock was getting bloody.), but just think of the most popular sports teams in America. How many of their names are regionally appropriate? How many of them sound cool at all, or create any cool imagery in your head? How many of them are just dumb?

So really, what's there to fight over? The Redskins have a stupid name. We should have noticed this back when it wasn't embarrassingly late to notice it, but here we are. So just find something different, and if it's cool they'll sell a ton of jerseys and if it isn't they can re-do it in ten years. Who cares?

Deacon
Shining Adonis

NFL 2013

Post by Deacon » Fri Jun 14, 2013 3:46 pm

The name has been complained about here and there for many years. It's just never reached critical mass. I don't really see why they'd have to change it, but I don't think it's that big a deal if they so.

The Cid
Redshirt

Post by The Cid » Sun Jun 16, 2013 4:35 pm

Of course the Super Bowl ring the ex-KGB agent President of Russia has came from Spygate.

Oh, and:
On Thursday night, Kraft told the crowd that he really wanted the 4.94-carat bauble back, admitting he'd gotten a call from the George W. Bush-run White House, saying, 'It would really be in the best interest of United States-Soviet relations if you meant to give the ring as a present.' "
The question of the day is: Who do you think accidentally called Russia "Soviet" in this context: Bob Kraft in a poor recollection, or former President Bush being...well, himself? Because it could easily be either one.

Deacon
Shining Adonis

Post by Deacon » Sun Jun 16, 2013 4:59 pm

That's a helluva turn of events, eh? I guess like wandering any major city in Central America, maybe leave the jewelry at home...

The Cid
Redshirt

Post by The Cid » Sun Jun 16, 2013 5:38 pm

It's such a great story though. I want it to go on for a while. I want conspiracy theorists hacking away at these statements. This is too entertaining to see off so soon. I hope Putin gets photographed wearing the ring somewhere, or claims that he and Tom Brady secretly changed places for a year a'la Face/Off.

The Cid
Redshirt

Post by The Cid » Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:29 pm

The above posts refer to a strange story about the New England Patriots.

...And then the circus came to town.

What a strange summer this is shaping up to be. The Bruins just played a Stanley Cup Final with a team from Chicago (leading to a fun-but-really-awkward mutual respect between fans because we both have awesome cities, and June is just about the perfect time to go to either of them), Tim Tebow's a Patriot now, the entire AL East is separated by six games and has no losing teams right now (and the Red Sox are winning it, which people generally did not expect), the Celtics just traded their coach and may be about to trade pretty much everyone but Rondo, and now this is happening. (Oh, and also, Whitey Bulger's on trial and we just had a special senate election that got all the attention of a high school student council election. Plus Menino's retiring, a big deal since mayors in big cities seem to last forever. And the Fourth of July is coming up, and because of what happened on Patriots' Day there's all sorts of weirdness around that.) Local news is bizarre now, especially sports news. It's weird, in the Hunter S. Thompson sense of the word.

Deacon
Shining Adonis

Post by Deacon » Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:46 pm

Those first two paragraphs of that story were crazy enough on their own. First, an acquaintance was found dead in an industrial park near his home. Just sounds terrible. Followed shortly by the Patriots firing him--through Twitter, of all things.