The Tomorrow People, Take 3

Play it? Watch it? Listen to it? Post it! Discuss Movies, TV, DVDs, CDs, and Evangelion! Compare Computer, Video, Pen & Paper, Sports, and any other games you want. Most anything entertaining is fair game.
Seir
Redshirt

The Tomorrow People, Take 3

Post by Seir » Tue May 21, 2013 6:11 am

[youtube]xez4o1ujOPI[/youtube]

The Tomorrow People was a British sci-fi, created by Roger Price, that originally ran in the UK in the 70's and then was one of the first shows broadcast by Nickelodeon back in the 80's. The show featured a cast who are supposed to be the "next stage in human evolution" or as the tagline went, "Extraordinary kids with extraordinary powers." These powers included teleportation, telepathy, and telekinesis. However, the catch is that with these powers they also lost the ability to knowingly and willingly kill another being.

[youtube]xZ5yEKWzkLw[/youtube]
In the 90's, a revival was attempted, which was also produced by Roger Price, however, it only lasted a couple of seasons.

Which brings us to 2013 where the CW has announced plans for a second revival attempt scheduled for this Fall, scheduled to air Wednesdays after Arrow:

[youtube]8TDKDqoklEI[/youtube]

Being someone who's old enough to remember seeing the original series as a kid, I have to admit that I do feel excited at the idea of a Tomorrow People series being done with modern special effects and a more accommodating budget. Now if only someone will do the same for Blakes 7....
Yo Mav, I'm real happy for you and Imma let you finish but Hirschoff had the best sig trends of all time.

Rorschach
The Immoral Immortal

Re: The Tomorrow People, Take 3

Post by Rorschach » Tue May 21, 2013 9:39 am

I dunno. I think half the charm of these older sci-f shows is the hokey special effects. Dr Who just doesn't scare me much any more, and I don't think that's just because I'm older (as I am still a tremendous shitbag) but rather because CGI is not as scary as practical special effects. Even poorly done special effects. I think your imagination makes up the rest. I'm not sure the same can be said for CGI.

Wait, you didn't ask anything like that.
To Let

Seir
Redshirt

Post by Seir » Thu May 23, 2013 3:46 am

I think it all has to do with the writing and not the special effects. For example, "Hide" was genuinely creepy until the reveal at the end. Same with "THe Almost People" from last season.

EDIT: I just realized that's Naomi Harris in the 90's Tomorrow People!
Yo Mav, I'm real happy for you and Imma let you finish but Hirschoff had the best sig trends of all time.

cutie_corey
Redshirt

Post by cutie_corey » Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:26 am

Oh my goodness. I loved this growing up and then they stopped it! I mention it all the time and people look at me like I'm crazy. Do you remember when that one character was trapped in the tube with the killer bees? Scary sh*% there. #officiallygeeked

Seir
Redshirt

Post by Seir » Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:04 am

Here's a longer preview. The only thing I wish for is a return of the creepy 70's music.

[youtube]JwXVsRUi53k[/youtube]

Rorschach
The Immoral Immortal

Post by Rorschach » Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:55 pm

Does the US have the same history of low-budget sci-fi as the UK?

I remember loads of shows from when I was a kid but, unusually, they were all home grown.
To Let

Arres
Redshirt

Post by Arres » Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:59 pm

I would say that the US has EXACTLY the same history. We stole yours. I grew up on Dr. Who, and it sounds like others were raised by the Tomorrow People. Not content to secede, not us. We're taking your TV with us!
Sheldon wrote:For the record, I am waaaay an adult. Like, super-way.
The Ponynati said:You cannot escape us. You cannot stop us. Soon all the world will bow down to the power of ponies.
The Cid wrote:...the text message is the preferred method of communication for prepubescent girls. Bunch of grown men sending digital paper airplanes to each other. Give me a break.

TheUnpredictable
Redshirt

Post by TheUnpredictable » Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:25 am

Oh wow I used to love this show when i was little! It creeped me out sometimes but I really got addicted to it. So cool and wonderful shoddy special effects. :)
“Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans.” (John Lennon)

Seir
Redshirt

Post by Seir » Sun Oct 13, 2013 1:03 am

The pilot episode aired last Wednesday here in the U.S., and so far I like what I see. Has anyone else seen it?