Doctor Who - Cold War - 4/13/2013

Play it? Watch it? Listen to it? Post it! Discuss Movies, TV, DVDs, CDs, and Evangelion! Compare Computer, Video, Pen & Paper, Sports, and any other games you want. Most anything entertaining is fair game.
Seir
Redshirt

Doctor Who - Cold War - 4/13/2013

Post by Seir » Sun Apr 14, 2013 3:18 pm

Holy Shit! An Ice Warrior! Haven't seen one on the show in ages. My favorite episode of the second-half of this season. Warming up to Clara so far. Clara bringing up the fact that she knew that the world didn't end for her in 1983 as a sign that they'd automatically get through this incident safely but the Doctor bringing up the fact that at certain points history can be changed reminds me of "The Pyramids of Mars". There Sarah Jane Smith brings up the fact that she knew the world didn't end in 1911 but the Doctor bringing her back to the present time to a post-apocalyptic Earth to show her that a powerful enough being (in this case Sutekh).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3AUWYLDmBc#t=463s
Yo Mav, I'm real happy for you and Imma let you finish but Hirschoff had the best sig trends of all time.

Rorschach
The Immoral Immortal

Re: Doctor Who - Cold War - 4/13/2013

Post by Rorschach » Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:08 pm

Yeah, I thought that was pretty solid although my viewing companion was strangely underwhelmed.

It was nice to see an old-fashioned Dr Who baddie, at least up until the inevitable CGI but I liked the satire it presented on Cold War thinking. It was good to see the TARDIS acting a little mad again as well.

I'd disagree with you about Clara. She has inherited the recent companions' unrealistic gift of rhetoric, but there doesn't seem much else to her beyond the fact that she's pretty. Maybe I'll be proven wrong. IIRC, I wasn't overly impressed with Amy at first either.

Next week looks scary, eh? I'm looking forward to that. Although the supernatural Dr Whos are usually tempered in the knowledge that it's probably just some alien doing the haunted fairground routine.
To Let

Seir
Redshirt

Post by Seir » Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:21 am

Rorschach wrote:It was good to see the TARDIS acting a little mad again as well.

Actually, at the end the Doctor mentioned that he accidentally turned on the Hostile Action Displacement System (HADS). Something that was used in the old series "The Krotons" during the Second Doctor's tenure. He just had the misfortune of being outside the TARDIS when it kicked in.
Rorschach wrote:Next week looks scary, eh? I'm looking forward to that. Although the supernatural Dr Whos are usually tempered in the knowledge that it's probably just some alien doing the haunted fairground routine.
Didn't stop "Blink" from being one of the creepiest episodes.
Yo Mav, I'm real happy for you and Imma let you finish but Hirschoff had the best sig trends of all time.

Rorschach
The Immoral Immortal

Post by Rorschach » Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:52 am

Seir wrote: Didn't stop "Blink" from being one of the creepiest episodes.
No, I know. But it has ruined werewolves. And ghosts. And maybe even vampires. I can't quite remember. It's not to say they're not creepy, just that they're not as creepy. I can watch almost any kind of horror, but exorcism movies make me fill my pants. And not in a good way.
To Let

The Cid
Redshirt

Post by The Cid » Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:00 pm

Quickly peeking in to say I really like Clara and not just because she's extremely attractive.
Hirschof wrote:I'm waiting for day you people start thinking with portals.