DayZ

Play it? Watch it? Listen to it? Post it! Discuss Movies, TV, DVDs, CDs, and Evangelion! Compare Computer, Video, Pen & Paper, Sports, and any other games you want. Most anything entertaining is fair game.
Seir
Redshirt

DayZ

Post by Seir » Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:03 am

Does anyone play it? For those unfamiliar with it, it's a zombie mod for ARMA 2, however it plays more like an episode of "The Walking Dead" rather than "Resident Evil." Not only do you have to worry about zombies, but other players who might either ally with you to survive or kill you and take your stuff. Food intake and painkillers are items you need to worry about and stock up in addition to weapons. Right now it's only available as a mod for ARMA 2 but there are plans for a standalone.

For more details, here's the wikipedia entry.

Here's a gameplay video:

[youtube]mOB7YGgREFg[/youtube]

And for some comedy:

[youtube]CVFHQsWPMhU[/youtube]
Yo Mav, I'm real happy for you and Imma let you finish but Hirschoff had the best sig trends of all time.

Deacon
Shining Adonis

DayZ

Post by Deacon » Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:28 am

Actually looks pretty cool. The hell is ARMA 2?
The follies which a man regrets the most in his life are those which he didn't commit when he had the opportunity. - Helen Rowland, A Guide to Men, 1922

Seir
Redshirt

Re: DayZ

Post by Seir » Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:44 am

The latest game in the Operation Flashpoint series.
Yo Mav, I'm real happy for you and Imma let you finish but Hirschoff had the best sig trends of all time.

Deacon
Shining Adonis

Post by Deacon » Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:18 am

Apparently ArmA is short for Armed Assault? OK...
The follies which a man regrets the most in his life are those which he didn't commit when he had the opportunity. - Helen Rowland, A Guide to Men, 1922

Seir
Redshirt

Post by Seir » Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:28 pm

In the case of Arma II, the "Arma" is for the Latin word for "weapons, soldiers, and war". Basically Arma II is a tactical shooter along the lines of Ghost Recon.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ARMA_2

gravity
Redshirt

Post by gravity » Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:40 pm

I actually played this for a few months last year. You get really cynical really fast. I got lucky and ended up teaming up with a group of guys and we were pretty good at not dying. Not the best players, but we did okay. Unfortunately they were in an incident in real life that freaked them out pretty bad and stopped playing shortly after. And then I dropped out because playing alone was just too hard, and playing without them... it jut didn't work.

But it is a good game.

Deacon
Shining Adonis

Post by Deacon » Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:18 am

gravity wrote:Unfortunately they were in an incident in real life that freaked them out pretty bad and stopped playing shortly after.
They met a real zombie and realized they were being really racist?

I mean, really...

gravity
Redshirt

Post by gravity » Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:34 am

Deacon wrote:
gravity wrote:Unfortunately they were in an incident in real life that freaked them out pretty bad and stopped playing shortly after.
They met a real zombie and realized they were being really racist?

I mean, really...
No, we played on a Denver server and we made plans to see Batman at a midnight showing. I got called into work last minute, and they still went. After that anything shooting at them freaked them out pretty badly.

Deacon
Shining Adonis

DayZ

Post by Deacon » Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:45 pm

So they were in the specific theater itself dodging bullets? Or just the idea of it was enough?

gravity
Redshirt

Post by gravity » Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:55 am

I think they were in the second theater, but yeah, they were dodging bullets.