Major League Baseball 2012

Play it? Watch it? Listen to it? Post it! Discuss Movies, TV, DVDs, CDs, and Evangelion! Compare Computer, Video, Pen & Paper, Sports, and any other games you want. Most anything entertaining is fair game.
The Cid
Redshirt

Re: Major League Baseball 2012

Post by The Cid » Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:57 pm

That makes five of six postseason series that went the distance so far.

Thanks, sports, for giving me a reason to ignore tonight's presidential debate entirely. Monday Night Football and Game 7 of the NLCS? Awesome.
Hirschof wrote:I'm waiting for day you people start thinking with portals.

ampersand
Redshirt

Post by ampersand » Tue Oct 23, 2012 7:05 pm

I had never seen a downpour like that on TV before. The game may have been meh, but the downpour was awesome!

The Cid
Redshirt

Post by The Cid » Tue Oct 23, 2012 7:33 pm

The game was one-sided, but I wouldn't call an ace pitcher bringing a shutout into the eighth inning of a game seven "meh" in any way. Matt Cain tore through the Cards last night.

The World Series begins tomorrow night in San Francisco. I'll takee the Giants in seven--even if Verlander starts three times, that's not enough to win the whole series. Both teams are excellent, but we've seen this too many times to ignore. When one team sweeps their championship series and the other wins in seven games, the team that went the distance always seems to have an enormous advantage.

ampersand
Redshirt

Post by ampersand » Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:16 am

Meanwhile, in other news, Ozzie "I like Castro" Guillen was fired by the Marlins. I could see him get picked up by Toronto and then start making derogatory about the Quebecois, probably even throw in an Elderberry rift too.

The Cid
Redshirt

Post by The Cid » Wed Oct 24, 2012 2:44 pm

How he didn't get fired the day he made those pro-Castro comments is beyond me. "Inappropriate" doesn't begin to cover it.

ampersand
Redshirt

Post by ampersand » Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:21 pm

I'm thinking Detroit in five. Here's why: Detroit has won both of their series in extreme circumstances. They've won even if the other team have tied the series and it's the fifth and deciding game (see Oakland) and then swept the Yankees. Frankly, they had a harder time sweeping the Royals in a three game weekend series than sweeping the Yankees in the ALCS. And I know the conventional wisdom is that the Giants come in with the emotional momentum, but isn't it also said that momentum is only as good as your next day's starting pitcher? And who is the better pitcher in the World Series than Verlander? Anyone? Buhler?

I think Detroit wins both games in San Francisco, wins game 3 in Detroit, loses game 4 on some fluke play, and then the media plays up the notion that the Giants have Detroit right where they want them. Finally, Detroit does what St. Louis should have done and win Game 5 at home. Because if it goes back to San Francisco for Game 6, all bets are off.

The Cid
Redshirt

Post by The Cid » Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:32 pm

ampersand wrote:isn't it also said that momentum is only as good as your next day's starting pitcher?
Yes, but that's a cliche I don't really buy into. We've had three World Series where one team swept to get in and the other had to go seven games. The team that went seven games is three for three. Happened to the Tigers as recently as 2006 (they swept, St. Louis went 7 with the Mets, five games later Albert Pujols lifted the trophy) and then to the Rockies the next year (sweeping into the Series and then getting swept by a Boston team that had to go seven games in the ALCS).

Detroit has the best pitcher in the series in Verlander. They have the best hitter in Miguel Cabrera. But I like the Giants' pitching staff in every matchup that does not involve Verlander, Detroit's bullpen is really shaky, and they'll need a big series from Prince Fielder to make people even consider pitching to Cabrera.

I'm hoping it's a good series. It could very easily play dead even. Nice uniforms, nice baseball cities, managers that deserve praise (I'm a big supporter of Jim Leyland)...great Series setup.

ampersand
Redshirt

Post by ampersand » Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:51 am

Apparently, Verlander did not fare well if its 7-1 Giants. It's 2004 World Series all over again!

The Cid
Redshirt

Post by The Cid » Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:20 pm

Pablo Sandoval is a beast, and one of the most fun players to watch in all of baseball. Barry Zito is a very likable pitcher, and too much is made of his contract. (Seriously, a Cy Young Award winner with no injury problems you can see is a free agent and you have a shot to sign him. Do you pass? I don't.) So it's nice to see the Giants win the way they won last night.

The Giants are a team of dudes and risk-takers. Sounds like San Francisco to me. Always nice when a team takes on a little bit of their city's personality.

Now the Tigers are left with a very uncomfortable Plan B of trying to get the series back on track without the boost from Verlander.

The Cid
Redshirt

Post by The Cid » Fri Oct 26, 2012 5:18 pm

I'll admit I was only watching last night's game between commercials in the Bucs game, but I kind of regret missing a great World Series game. I did catch the play at the plate, which was awesome, and both of the runs scored in the game.

Don't believe the hype. 2-0 is how homefield advantage in the World Series is supposed to work. Giants look good, but the Tigers could get right back in it.

Deacon
Shining Adonis

Post by Deacon » Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:03 pm

It was a great game from what I caught. It's amazing how such a boring game like baseball can sometimes bring the tension.
The follies which a man regrets the most in his life are those which he didn't commit when he had the opportunity. - Helen Rowland, A Guide to Men, 1922

ampersand
Redshirt

Post by ampersand » Sun Oct 28, 2012 1:05 am

2-0 Giants, no sign of life from Detroit. Again, this feels like the 2004 World Series all over again!

The Cid
Redshirt

Post by The Cid » Mon Oct 29, 2012 2:32 pm

Pitching wins championships. It's a cliche, but it's true and it's always been true. The Giants just ran through Detroit because of their starting rotation's depth.

Consider:
-San Francisco was without their closer for the entire season.
-Tim Lincecum, who had been the Giants' ace for several years up until this point, was not very good this year. To the point that he was healthy all October and only started one playoff game.
-Barry Zito was their #5 starter all year, and many in baseball had assumed his career was winding down. Then he won an elimination game in the NLCS and beat Justin Verlander in the World Series.
-There are two guys in their bullpen (without counting Brian Wilson, who again was injured all year) who would be the Tigers' unquestioned closer if they were on Detroit's roster.
-Aside from Posey and Sandoval, their hitting was barely existent.

Congratulations to the Giants and San Francisco's fans everywhere.

Deacon
Shining Adonis

Post by Deacon » Tue Oct 30, 2012 3:43 am

Defense wins championships.
The follies which a man regrets the most in his life are those which he didn't commit when he had the opportunity. - Helen Rowland, A Guide to Men, 1922

The Cid
Redshirt

Post by The Cid » Tue Oct 30, 2012 1:29 pm

And pitching, being based around the prevention of scoring runs, is defensive in nature. (Though you also rarely see an error-prone team win the World Series either.)