Major League Baseball 2012

Play it? Watch it? Listen to it? Post it! Discuss Movies, TV, DVDs, CDs, and Evangelion! Compare Computer, Video, Pen & Paper, Sports, and any other games you want. Most anything entertaining is fair game.
ampersand
Redshirt

Post by ampersand » Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:13 am

I think we just saw the last time Jeter will play ever tonight. This has Detroit in Five written all over it.

Deacon
Shining Adonis

Post by Deacon » Sun Oct 14, 2012 2:25 pm

Ever? You really think so?
The follies which a man regrets the most in his life are those which he didn't commit when he had the opportunity. - Helen Rowland, A Guide to Men, 1922

The Cid
Redshirt

Re: Major League Baseball 2012

Post by The Cid » Sun Oct 14, 2012 2:49 pm

ampersand wrote:I think we just saw the last time Jeter will play ever tonight.
His regular season was too good for him to just walk away. You'll know Jeter is going to retire when the Yankees have his replacement lined up. His broken ankle will heal by next season and he'll keep going.

The Yankees keep fighting back in the ninth inning. Funny, I expected they'd be the ones with trouble closing out games, being that Rivera's out for the season. (I know that's old news, but wait until they have a big save situation in a playoff game and have to turn to Rafael Soriano, who to be fair has been pretty good this year.)
Deacon wrote:Watch it talking bad about number 8, man.
What did I say? He's had a lot of concussions. I'm not making that up. In the nineties, Aikman and Steve Young seemed to be collecting concussions. Given what we know now about NFL players who get hit that hard that often, it's pretty amazing that either of those guys can still speak coherently.
Deacon wrote:He's a sharp and seasoned NFL quarterback with great insights into the game for those of us who aren't experts.
I prefer Moose Johnston, as far as Fox NFL analysts go. John Lynch as well, but that could be me being a homer.
Hirschof wrote:I'm waiting for day you people start thinking with portals.

ampersand
Redshirt

Post by ampersand » Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:02 pm

The Cid wrote:
ampersand wrote:I think we just saw the last time Jeter will play ever tonight.
His regular season was too good for him to just walk away. You'll know Jeter is going to retire when the Yankees have his replacement lined up. His broken ankle will heal by next season and he'll keep going.
Jeter's season stats were 15 HR, 58 RBI and a .316 AVG. Other than the average, which is impressive, I'm not sure if Home Runs or RBIs are impressive these days. All I know from watching him play is that he didn't seem to be the same this year than I have seen him in recent years. If there's something I'm not getting, I would like to know.

I also think because of his age and the injury, this isn't going to go away easily even if it requires surgery and a long time to heal.

Deacon
Shining Adonis

Post by Deacon » Mon Oct 15, 2012 1:57 am

The Cid wrote:I prefer Moose Johnston, as far as Fox NFL analysts go.
Another great Cowboy announcer :)
The follies which a man regrets the most in his life are those which he didn't commit when he had the opportunity. - Helen Rowland, A Guide to Men, 1922

The Cid
Redshirt

Post by The Cid » Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:03 pm

ampersand wrote:If there's something I'm not getting, I would like to know.
-His WAR of 2.1 is his highest total in three seasons. Considering Mike Trout's number was over ten, sure, Jeter's not an MVP candidate, but 2.1 is a solid number.
-Jeter led the AL in hits this year.
-That .316 average was good for fifth in the league, important for a table-setter. (His home run and RBI totals aren't that important as he hits near the top of the batting order.)

Deacon
Shining Adonis

Post by Deacon » Wed Oct 17, 2012 3:29 am

Yankees keep fighting to force the bottom half of the 9th...

Edit: whew. Detroit eked it out.

The Cid
Redshirt

Post by The Cid » Wed Oct 17, 2012 2:32 pm

Just want to take the opportunity to remind Yankees fans that all is not lost. There is one example of a team coming back from a 0-3 hole in the ALCS. In fact, I bet you remember it pretty well.

Ha. I just made Yankees fans think about 2004.

And now, thoughts from the mind of Alex Rodriguez.

"Hey baby, want to be a slumpbuster?" No, wait I can do better than that.

"Hey girl, I've never tried auto-erotic asphyxiation before, but I'm choking now so...want to see me after the game?" Nah, too wordy.

"Can you ladies give me hitting tips? I'm kind of lost here." Damn, too on the nose.

"Hey gladies, want to...did I just say gladies? What the Hell, Alex? Get it together! Why must I be like this every October?"

Deacon
Shining Adonis

Post by Deacon » Wed Oct 17, 2012 3:05 pm

"What? What do you mean you're not into it?! Your KNEW choking was kind of my thing..."

Deacon
Shining Adonis

Post by Deacon » Wed Oct 17, 2012 4:27 pm

And from Hirschof through twitter:

"The lady who gave A-Rod her number HAS to be concerned about his inability to rise up to the occasion."

http://twitter.com/#!/DukeOfBexar/statu ... 6255111168

The Cid
Redshirt

Post by The Cid » Thu Oct 18, 2012 2:33 am

And the point goes to Hirsch.

...So ALCS Game Four was postponed. But they waited for people to come to the park, then told them to wait in a rain delay (without rain) before they told them that the game was postponed. Being that it's now at three on a Thursday afternoon, kids are going to need to be excused from school and adults now need to get out of work. At least they could have done that without people coming out to Comerica Park...

ampersand
Redshirt

Post by ampersand » Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:45 pm

So who would bet a week's salary that San Francisco would repeat in this round what they did in the last round: win three in a row to win the series? I wouldn't.

The Cid
Redshirt

Post by The Cid » Sat Oct 20, 2012 12:57 am

I wouldn't bet a week's salary, but I wouldn't count out the Giants. If they manage to get out of St. Louis, they get their best two pitchers going at home with all-hands-on-deck in the bullpen.

The Cid
Redshirt

Post by The Cid » Sat Oct 20, 2012 1:38 pm

Barry Zito reached back and pitched his best game as a Giant last night. Now San Francisco comes home to pitch Vogelsong (having a great playoffs) and, if they reach a game seven, Matt Cain. Suddenly, the NLCS might be headed for a fantastic finish.

ampersand
Redshirt

Post by ampersand » Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:42 am

Well now, a game 7. May have to call my Cardinals crazy friend back East just to make sure he's not about to jump off a rooftop.

Detroit had better sweep whomever wins the NLCS. Resiliency is a very hard thing to shake.