Major League Baseball 2012

Play it? Watch it? Listen to it? Post it! Discuss Movies, TV, DVDs, CDs, and Evangelion! Compare Computer, Video, Pen & Paper, Sports, and any other games you want. Most anything entertaining is fair game.
The Cid
Redshirt

Re: Major League Baseball 2012

Post by The Cid » Sat Oct 06, 2012 2:19 pm

ampersand wrote:As bad as the NFL replacement and "professional" refers are, they got nothin' on the MLB umpires, especially that damning gaffe in the Cards - Braves tilt. The biggest problem as I heard from play-by-play folks was that the ump made the Infield Fly Ball rule after the ball had landed on the ground.
About a second before, actually. But that's still way too late. The problem is the rulebook and the system MLB uses to enforce its rulebook. The infield fly rule is too much of a judgment call, and there's no recourse to correct a bad call.

What bothers me the most about it as I reflect is that one of the extra umpires called the infield fly. During the regular season, there's an umpire at every base for a total of four. In the playoffs, they add two umps to stand along the foul lines in the outfield. It was the left field umpire that made the call. During an ordinary game that umpire would not have been there.

The umpire called the infield fly before the ball hit the ground, but according to the wording of the rule an umpire is supposed to call it as early as possible. Watching replays, it might be the umpire calling infield fly that gets the Cardinals' shortstop to peel off, mistaking that for Matt Holliday saying "I got it." (For the uninitiated: from little league on, an infielder is taught to cede to an outfielder on a fly ball if he hears the OF call for it.)
ampersand wrote:And that got me thinking, why have an Infield Fly Rule anyway these days?
The entire reason the Infield Fly Rule exists: If there were runners on first and second and the batter popped the ball up to the shortstop, the shortstop could allow the ball to hit the ground, pick it up, throw to third base and watch the third baseman throw to second: a cheap double play. Because of infield fly, an umpire can call an out while the ball is still in the air. Also, once they call the out, any baserunners are free to advance at their own risk. (This is why the umpires didn't move the Braves' baserunners back to first and second after the call.) It prevents cheap tricks, but that's all the more reason it was a bad call in this case. There was no way that the shortstop could have pulled that off from as far out as he had to go to not catch that ball.
ampersand wrote:If Texas wants to appease Josh Beckett, I think they'll have to fire Ron Washington. They've utterly choked away two World Series and now the last ten out of twelve games to end their season.
A) Josh Hamilton. Josh Beckett was the pitcher at the center of the Red Sox meltdown.
B) Why did Texas boo Hamilton?
C) I'm serious. Jerry Jones and Tony Romo work across the parking lot but they boo Josh "remember how many World Series the Rangers had been to before me" Hamilton? I don't know what else Texans want in a baseball team. If the Rangers are a tough sell for them, what's it going to take?
D) I wouldn't say the Rangers choked against the Giants in 2010. The Giants' pitching staff just got into a groove that October, and when they're going right good luck with that.
ampersand wrote:I'm thinking Baltimore will beat New York in Five, with Jeter be the reason for the Yankees demise this time.
Another strange thing about the new playoff setup: the top seed in each league begins their playoffs on the road. Baltimore and St. Louis have homefield advantage for the first two games against the teams with the best records in baseball. (In an odd quirk, both of them were the road teams yesterday.)
ampersand wrote:My insanely crazy St. Louis Cardinals friend would like to remind you that today (10.06.2012) is the anniversary of the Billy Goat Curse on the Chicago Cubs. He reminds you to celebrate accordingly.
Ah Cardinals-Cubs: sports' version of Lucy Van Pelt trying to get poor Charlie Brown to kick the football.
Hirschof wrote:I'm waiting for day you people start thinking with portals.

The Cid
Redshirt

Post by The Cid » Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:50 pm

Eight playoff games in two days? Six games that could possibly force elimination? Two game fives? This is awesome!

I've got the Giants early, the Nats mid-afternoon, the Orioles tonight, and the Athletics in the late game. I'm not certain, but I'm pretty sure that there's never been a year where all four division series have gone five games.

ampersand
Redshirt

Post by ampersand » Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:00 pm

It's kept me going at work that I can listen and no one bothers me. That Yankees - Orioles ending was a humdinger, huh? I'm predicting Jeter will be kicking and screaming into retirement after the end of this season. He's completely done. Wouldn't be surprised if John Sterling is weeping when the Yankees are eliminated.

Confession: I can not stop myself from listening to Yankees broadcasts. I may need an intervention.

ampersand
Redshirt

Post by ampersand » Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:28 am

Best quote about Yankees - Orioles Game 4:
Well, that game started on 10/11, ended on 12, and went 13. FIGURE THAT OUT, SABERMETRICS.
I'm so looking forward to today's Game 5's. I so hope the "Championship Series" as MLB are calling them are just as compelling. I get the feeling whomever is playing, the AL and NL Championships are going to be a tad bit disappointing.

The Cid
Redshirt

Post by The Cid » Fri Oct 12, 2012 3:24 pm

ampersand wrote:Confession: I can not stop myself from listening to Yankees broadcasts
It's John Sterling. He makes it hard to turn the game off. If you dislike the Yankees like I do, he just makes you root that much harder against the Yankees. (The John Sterling disappointed voice is one of my favorite things in sports.)

I like "homer" announcers. (That is, announcers who are firmly rooting for the team they announce. John Sterling is one example. Pretty much every local NFL announcer would also be a "homer." Many of them refer to their team as "we.") When you're watching or listening to a local broadcast, why does that broadcast need to be impartial? I expect the announcer who gets paid by one particular team to favor that team.

What bothers me is that MLB network had such a great broadcast team, and TBS' crews are pretty solid, but soon Fox will take over the broadcasting and we'll be stuck with Joe Buck and Tim McCarver, who seem unimpressed with everything they see. Please, Fox, just find better broadcasters. There are so many good baseball announcers.
ampersand wrote:I get the feeling whomever is playing, the AL and NL Championships are going to be a tad bit disappointing.
If Washington wins tonight's NLDS game, Nationals-Giants could be really good. Whoever Detroit plays, it's going to hinge on whether anyone but Justin Verlander can pitch for the Tigers.

Dan Duquette's Orioles could finish off the Yankees tonight and move on to the ALCS. You could travel back to April with indisputable evidence of this and I would not have believed you.

ampersand
Redshirt

Post by ampersand » Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:32 pm

A-Rod is not in the lineup tonight. This is very interesting because this should have been done two nights ago. If it were anyone else, there would have been a fierce debate whether A-Rod would return or not.

The Cid
Redshirt

Post by The Cid » Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:44 pm

ampersand wrote:If it were anyone else, there would have been a fierce debate whether A-Rod would return or not.
If it were anyone else he would have been benched earlier in the series. Joe Girardi is terrified of doing something to make Rodriguez dislike him, the way Joe Torre apparently offended Rodriguez for moving him to eighth in the lineup once. Nobody wants to upset Alex Rodriguez. Me, I think the Yankees pay the dude enough that they should be able to do whatever they want to him and he shouldn't be allowed to say a damned word, but I enjoy the turmoil in the Bronx at any rate.

ampersand
Redshirt

Post by ampersand » Sat Oct 13, 2012 5:14 am

Wow. I think my Cardinals crazy friend will find himself in a gutter delirious over this comeback. I think you need to sweep them to eliminate them. (Hope he doesn't call asking for a room.)

The Cid
Redshirt

Post by The Cid » Sat Oct 13, 2012 1:48 pm

What a game. What a way to finish off a sixty hour stretch in which we saw...
-Ten playoff games
-Eight games with at least one team facing elimination
-Four game fives
-Three extra inning games
-Three walkoffs
-Dominant pitching performances by Justin Verlander and CC Sabathia
-A handful of come-from-behind wins

That was amazing. That beat the opening weekend of the NCAA men's basketball tournament. That was the best divisional round MLB's ever seen.

Deacon
Shining Adonis

Post by Deacon » Sat Oct 13, 2012 2:29 pm

And I saw exactly none of it :(

Now that I have DirecTV maybe I'll catch more games. Got it installed last night. Tried cutting the cord, but it doesn't suffice for sports and the wide range of stuff still not carried by Hulu Plus, Netflix, and Amazon Instant.
The follies which a man regrets the most in his life are those which he didn't commit when he had the opportunity. - Helen Rowland, A Guide to Men, 1922

The Cid
Redshirt

Post by The Cid » Sat Oct 13, 2012 4:10 pm

Sorry about your Rangers. Don't give up on them. They're a team worth following.

ampersand
Redshirt

Post by ampersand » Sat Oct 13, 2012 8:45 pm

And if you don't like Joe "What St. Louis Bias?" Buck or Tim "Have you heard me singing?" McCarver (He has an album. Great Christmas gift to annoy your Sinatra friends.) on Fox, just listen the games on the ESPN Radio app (while muting the TV of course). The radio announcers are seven times more interesting to listen to than the Fox announcers. Heck, I think I'd prefer Chris "What?" Berman on the radio than Fox's non-dynamic duo.

Seir
Redshirt

Post by Seir » Sat Oct 13, 2012 8:56 pm

You mean Joe "I blew announcing 'The Catch" in Superbowl XVII" Buck.
Yo Mav, I'm real happy for you and Imma let you finish but Hirschoff had the best sig trends of all time.

The Cid
Redshirt

Post by The Cid » Sat Oct 13, 2012 9:07 pm

Or Joe "I'm just going to take the 2004 World Series off" Buck.

I really liked the job Berman did on radio during the division series. He should do radio more often. One thing though: He sounds a lot like Fred Flintstone, something I really noticed during his radio stint this past week and a half.
ampersand wrote:Joe "What St. Louis Bias?" Buck
He's mister excitement, isn't he? Always so enthusiastic about great plays and big games...oh, wait, we're talking about Fox's monotone yes-man, saddled with the task of making Tim McCarver sound relevant and Troy Aikman sound like he hasn't had a dozen concussions.

Aikman: "Boy I tell ya, Joe, you have to admit, it's a miracle that I have enough surviving brain cells to continue speaking the English language at all. You know, most people who have been hit in the head as hard as I have and as often as I have can't close their mouths long enough to stop drooling on themselves, so irregardless of what you think or don't think about my commentary, my very survival to this point is evidence that medical science is on the right track. Now back to the studio, because I've forgotten my name for the tenth time this afternoon."

Deacon
Shining Adonis

Post by Deacon » Sat Oct 13, 2012 10:41 pm

Watch it talking bad about number 8, man... He's a sharp and seasoned NFL quarterback with great insights into the game for those of us who aren't experts.
The follies which a man regrets the most in his life are those which he didn't commit when he had the opportunity. - Helen Rowland, A Guide to Men, 1922