My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic

Play it? Watch it? Listen to it? Post it! Discuss Movies, TV, DVDs, CDs, and Evangelion! Compare Computer, Video, Pen & Paper, Sports, and any other games you want. Most anything entertaining is fair game.
Deacon
Shining Adonis

Post by Deacon » Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:54 am

Not all videos are available in HTML 5 as it turns out, but yeah you can buy other apps like Mercury which are like a power user version of Safari. Just not generally worth it. I'll view it on a desktop at some point.
The follies which a man regrets the most in his life are those which he didn't commit when he had the opportunity. - Helen Rowland, A Guide to Men, 1922

Deacon
Shining Adonis

Re: My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic

Post by Deacon » Tue Aug 28, 2012 3:37 pm

Just watched it. I don't get it. Did I miss something in the episode, or is it a reference to something else, or what?
The follies which a man regrets the most in his life are those which he didn't commit when he had the opportunity. - Helen Rowland, A Guide to Men, 1922

BtEO
Redshirt

Post by BtEO » Sat Nov 10, 2012 7:12 pm

Meant to post a little earlier that this, but season 3 started today.

FireAza
Redshirt

Post by FireAza » Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:48 am

There's also that town-building MLP app for the iPhone. It's pretty good.
"For AUS$300, you get FireAza drawing your screen image." -MartinBlank "Oh shit. For once, FireAza is right." -Deacon
"FireAza, if you're really that sneaky and quiet then you can sleep in my bed anytime, mister." -kizba

JermCool
Redshirt

Post by JermCool » Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:07 am

I had to sacrifice Hub. And they don't have the new eps up on the Hub website! RAT BASTARDS!!! :(

I'll have to do what I did with Season 1 and hope they're up on YouTube somewhere.
Insert Banner Here
"The internet is bullcrap! And everyone on it is retarded!" - Muspar
"All threads should degenerate into the bumming of JermCool." - Rorschach

collegestudent22
Redshirt

Post by collegestudent22 » Tue Nov 13, 2012 4:08 am

40+ minutes of ponies to start off season 3? I can dig it.

[youtube]DnVbDEUL8kE[/youtube]
Frédéric Bastiat wrote:And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works.
Count Axel Oxenstierna wrote:Dost thou not know, my son, with how little wisdom the world is governed?

FireAza
Redshirt

Post by FireAza » Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:09 pm

Here's something interesting! It turns out that fansubbers in Japan are, well, fansubbing MLP, because for some reason, the show isn't played there, despite how obvious it's appeal would be. Anyway, the subtitled episodes are available on the website Niconico, which, unlike YouTube, displays viewer comments on top of the video at the time the viewer posted it. This means you can see people's reactions and comments to the same parts you're watching now. Someone has started translating these comments into English, and I've found it really interesting/funny to see what they think of the show (hint: they think Spike is masochistic towards Rarity).

It probably doesn't mean much to most of y'all, but as someone who's often part of anime fansubbing culture, it's really interesting to see their parallels between their fansubbing culture and ours. Yes, they put silly karaoke subtitles over the opening theme, and yes, they criticize and correct the translations ;)
"For AUS$300, you get FireAza drawing your screen image." -MartinBlank "Oh shit. For once, FireAza is right." -Deacon
"FireAza, if you're really that sneaky and quiet then you can sleep in my bed anytime, mister." -kizba

Deacon
Shining Adonis

Post by Deacon » Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:57 am

Did anyone see yesterday's episode, apparently the finale for Season 3? Would it be fair to say it took you somewhat off guard? It definitely did me. So many "wait, what?" moments there at the end.

I don't know how much "spoilers" are tolerated so I'll wait to say more but, wait, what? Sure seemed like a pretty significant turn of events to be backed into a single episode like that, into the last act of the episode, even. Not sure where they're going with this...

Vektor T. Gecko
Redshirt

Post by Vektor T. Gecko » Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:17 am

Huh. I didn't see this thread here before. I know this forum has its fair share of pony fanciers, but just based on what I remember of people's personality, I wouldn't have expected Deacon to be an MLP fan.

(And I don't mean that in a mean-spirited way or anything!)
If all else fails, use fire.

Deacon
Shining Adonis

Post by Deacon » Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:24 am

Clearly discussion on the topic isn't really burning up the board these days, but I think you may have misunderestimated me.

Vektor T. Gecko
Redshirt

Post by Vektor T. Gecko » Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:58 am

So, Mr. Deacon, at last I misunderestimate you again for the first time for the last time!
If all else fails, use fire.

BtEO
Redshirt

Post by BtEO » Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:31 am

Deacon wrote:Did anyone see yesterday's episode, apparently the finale for Season 3? Would it be fair to say it took you somewhat off guard? It definitely did me. So many "wait, what?" moments there at the end.

I don't know how much "spoilers" are tolerated so I'll wait to say more but, wait, what? Sure seemed like a pretty significant turn of events to be backed into a single episode like that, into the last act of the episode, even. Not sure where they're going with this...
I had mixed feelings on the episode. I knew what was coming, because Hasbro certainly don't care about spoilers — so unless your only interaction with the show is the episodes themselves (which I imagine is probably the case for you) it was impossible not to hear the rumours.

On the one hand it does play slightly into some more traditional tropes associated with cartoons for girls, and also smell a little of "how can we sell some more toys"; though it violates both far less than many other cartoons have been guilty of in the past.

On the other hand it was still a very fun episode with all the ponies being animated and performed excellently when placed completely outside their comfort zone. And that spoiler is tied heavily into three seasons of character development — pretty much all the ponies have grown since the first episode, but it's nice to see it acknowledged in very specific ways with the many call backs.

Overall I'm very interested to see where they go with this, not least in the context of this tweet from Meghan McCarthy (story editor.)

Also while trying to remember where I saw that tweet I found two more proper spoilery, but funny, tweets. One from Big Mac and one from M A Larson who wrote this episode.

On spoilers, given that not everyone has The Hub and there are significant delays in international showings I think giving it a few days to make sure every one has both gotten around to downloading an episode, and sat down to watch it, is not unreasonable. My avatar might have to change again shortly though.

Deacon
Shining Adonis

Post by Deacon » Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:55 pm

Meghan's tweet is interesting, if a bit frustrating. Not sure why they'd set it up like that or why the season only has 13 episodes. Seems like they could've opened season 4 with that episode instead. The main part of the episode was indeed well done.

As far as spoilers, it appears not too many people are actively engaged. I wonder if like me they mostly just watch the show on their DVR and move on. The novelty has worn off, so more episodes lately blend into each other.

BtEO
Redshirt

Post by BtEO » Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:34 pm

One of the things I've seen suggested is that if they'd decided not to continue beyond series 3 that would be a not unreasonable cut off. But in a similar way if it is part of a 3-parter it's a mostly self-contained part.

I've always been better at responding to posts than commenting on my own. Discussion allows me to organise and solidify my thoughts. (The best example I've had of this was the post-film discussion I had with my friend on Snow White and the Huntsman which led us both to the opinion that it was less than the sum of its parts; that there were a bunch of great ideas that somehow only added up to an above average film.)

It's not like the episodes have gotten worse just that in a show without massive amounts of continuity between episodes there is less to discuss after a while.

Deacon
Shining Adonis

Post by Deacon » Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:37 pm

BtEO wrote:I've always been better at responding to posts than commenting on my own. Discussion allows me to organise and solidify my thoughts.
Well that's true with me on any topic at all, really. Especially written posts help a lot. They can be frustrating at times but completely necessary for me. He'll sometimes it helps me figure out what I even think in the first place, gives me an opportunity to think through something.
It's not like the episodes have gotten worse just that in a show without massive amounts of continuity between episodes there is less to discuss after a while.
True that.