My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic

Play it? Watch it? Listen to it? Post it! Discuss Movies, TV, DVDs, CDs, and Evangelion! Compare Computer, Video, Pen & Paper, Sports, and any other games you want. Most anything entertaining is fair game.
BtEO
Redshirt

My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic

Post by BtEO » Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:00 am

So, between the awesome StarCraft II/Mass Effect 2 mash-ups, positive comments from a broad selection of sources on the Internet including David Willis and Dan Shive, knowledge that Brony has become a word that is used, and a rebuttal by the show's Writer/Producer against an allegation that the show is homophobic, racist, and smart-shaming — I decided to check it out.[1]

It is very good. Well-written, funny, occasionally predictable — but never annoyingly so, and not even slightly as one-dimensional as you might expect a show ostensibly aimed toward pre-teen girls to be.

I highly recommend everybody (everypony :P) check out at least the opening two-parter; you can find it easily enough on YouTube.

Also, I was bored and made some avatars (and on the off-chance somebody (somepony) wants to make a request I'm happy to try and oblige.)
ImageTwilight Sparkle
ImageRarity
ImageRainbow Dash
ImageFluttershy
ImagePinkie Pie
ImageApplejack
ImageDerpy Hooves
And a preview of them within the ovals:
[1] The last time I randomly decided to watch something based on such a combined simultaneous onslaught of good mentions was Love Hina. Greg had recently mentioned it in the comic, I'd seen more mentions elsewhere, and bizarrely "Love Hina Advance" was the first successful fan translation of a Game Boy Advance game, and so merited a post on Zophar.net (one of the more famous console emulation sites in its heyday) where it would probably not have got one had it not been the first. This was also before I had options to download episodes, I had to import DVDs with no idea if I'd like the show or not.

Rorschach
The Immoral Immortal

Re: My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic

Post by Rorschach » Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:05 am

Is this your way of telling us that certain alter-egos are going pony-girl?

Man, I hope so.
To Let

BtEO
Redshirt

Post by BtEO » Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:48 pm

Just this once I'm going to have to disappoint you Rors. No hidden subtext, I am really recommending people watch this.

JermCool
Redshirt

Post by JermCool » Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:17 pm

Derpy Hooves Stolen because I've been longing for a bandwagon to jump upon! Longing.
Insert Banner Here
"The internet is bullcrap! And everyone on it is retarded!" - Muspar
"All threads should degenerate into the bumming of JermCool." - Rorschach

FireAza
Redshirt

Post by FireAza » Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:35 am

BtEO wrote:The last time I randomly decided to watch something based on such a combined simultaneous onslaught of good mentions was Love Hina.
Ah, that anime wasn't very good.

From what I've seen of this show from mash-up videos, the art-style looks quite good. The character are pretty expressive, and I like that the outlines are not always black. The world of animation needs more shows with varied color outlines :D
"For AUS$300, you get FireAza drawing your screen image." -MartinBlank "Oh shit. For once, FireAza is right." -Deacon
"FireAza, if you're really that sneaky and quiet then you can sleep in my bed anytime, mister." -kizba

Arres
Redshirt

Post by Arres » Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:30 pm

MAN. Derpy Hooves.
Sheldon wrote:For the record, I am waaaay an adult. Like, super-way.
The Ponynati said:You cannot escape us. You cannot stop us. Soon all the world will bow down to the power of ponies.
The Cid wrote:...the text message is the preferred method of communication for prepubescent girls. Bunch of grown men sending digital paper airplanes to each other. Give me a break.

BtEO
Redshirt

Post by BtEO » Fri Apr 08, 2011 4:03 pm

Did anyone actually watch any episodes in the end? :/

Rorschach
The Immoral Immortal

Post by Rorschach » Fri Apr 08, 2011 4:29 pm

I didn't. And not only because I didn't understand most of the words in the OP. Smart-shaming?
It was the whole opening up a new window and going to youtube and then looking for it and all that stopped me.
I'm exhausted just typing out the process. Damned wooden keyboard.
To Let

JermCool
Redshirt

Post by JermCool » Fri Apr 08, 2011 6:03 pm

I need to find a place to watch this without the judgmental mocking of my family or coworkers. I never get any time to myself!
Insert Banner Here

GuyDG
Redshirt

Post by GuyDG » Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:28 am

Actually another friend showed it to me and some of my friends, and we actually thought it was pretty good.

However we all felt we had to start taking insulin afterworlds as well. =P

lifedeath
Redshirt

Post by lifedeath » Tue May 03, 2011 9:01 pm

I was somewhat of a fan of the old series.
Loved that movie with the rainbow, or whatever it was in that medallion. I forget now...

Ahhh...

I feel old.

:?
Give Life a real.....

StruckingFuggle
Redshirt

Post by StruckingFuggle » Tue May 03, 2011 9:38 pm

Requesting DJ P0N-3 avatar.
JermCool wrote:I need to find a place to watch this without the judgmental mocking of my family or coworkers. I never get any time to myself!
Don't you have a young daughter? Or am I thinking of another forumite. But if that's included in family, bam: it's something the kids can like which you won't want to kill yourself while watching.
"He who lives by the sword dies by my arrow."

"In your histories, there are continual justifications for all manner of hellish actions. Claims of nobility and heritage and honor to cover up every bit of genocide, assassination, and massacre. At least the Horde is honest in their naked lust for power."

BtEO
Redshirt

Post by BtEO » Wed May 04, 2011 9:59 pm

I'll get on it when my eye's feeling a little better. You had to go an pick one I don't have a decent vector source for yet though. :P

Also, my favourite descriptive quote:
Todd VanDerWerff wrote:The best word to describe it is probably “relentless,” in that it’s relentlessly cute, relentlessly happy, and relentlessly entertaining. In its own way, it reminds me of a movie like Singin’ In The Rain, in that both properties aim to overwhelm any cynicism directed at them via sheer and utter joyfulness. It seems like it should be easy to watch either property with an ironic sneer of detachment, but both utterly wear down all defenses.

BtEO
Redshirt

Post by BtEO » Fri May 06, 2011 2:27 pm

ImageVinyl Scratch a.k.a. DJ P0N-3

And with her added to the group:

JermCool
Redshirt

Post by JermCool » Sat May 14, 2011 6:31 pm

Episodes 1-4 completed.

Aside from needing a visit to the dentist afterward, these actually are awesome! The Yakkity-Sax rip-off in Ep 3 was priceless.

And it does help make sense of the memes.
Insert Banner Here