RealLife the RPG ?

Play it? Watch it? Listen to it? Post it! Discuss Movies, TV, DVDs, CDs, and Evangelion! Compare Computer, Video, Pen & Paper, Sports, and any other games you want. Most anything entertaining is fair game.
Phantom Snowcat
Crazy Person

Re: RealLife the RPG ?

Post by Phantom Snowcat » Wed May 14, 2003 5:51 am

Hrm. My ideas are brewing.
If you dont like the way i drive, then get off of the sidewalk.

Nekra
Crazy Person

Post by Nekra » Wed May 14, 2003 1:36 pm

i have limited C++ experience and i've done OpenGL through my course, it's not mearly a matter of learning new syntax, OpenGl works differently to default C++.

imho it would be an insult to RealLife to mod soming for it, something this good needs it's own game with it's own engine. or at least a decent coded mod rather then a module creator programmed attempt.

like i said a point and click would be easier to make. but you could do a more traditional rpg or adventure....it comes down to how much time are you willing to spend programming it...

on the one side however i'm producing a rpg for my final year dissatation. so i'll probably have to look into all these problems real soon...

final or maybe the first, thing to consider is gettign gregs permission. RLC is his intelectual property and to make anything based upon that property without permission is illegal, even if it is fan based and even if he really doesn't care...
[url=http://www.moxguild.comImage[/url]

Phantom Snowcat
Crazy Person

Post by Phantom Snowcat » Thu May 15, 2003 9:17 pm

Ooh good idea, Hey Greg im asking your permission to make a RealLife rpg... Please? :D

Oh and take a look at this :D

Am i getting sued yet?

Tell me what you think!

RadicalDreamer
Crazy Person

Post by RadicalDreamer » Fri May 16, 2003 4:04 am

RM2K, I see. Don't knock it till you've seen its full potential.

Nekra
Crazy Person

Post by Nekra » Fri May 16, 2003 11:29 am

it looks like a bad GBA game...or maybe even a NES RPG...DESTROY IT destroy it now before it brings death and destruction to the world

question? are you going to use the japenese game design method or the western?

the wester being a well thought out and developed plot line attached to a highly developed game world.

the japenese is a cork board and some darts with random ideas written on them, where you throw the idea at the board and then get some string and randomly thread a path around the darts to signify the route in the game.

strangely enough the latter tends to produce better games...the prior just makes games that make sence to the player.

tgukempire
Crazy Person

Post by tgukempire » Fri May 16, 2003 4:03 pm

rm2k is like snes graphic i love that thing , but have you started any of the charaters yet???

Grumlen
Crazy Person

Post by Grumlen » Mon May 19, 2003 4:54 am

Going with the D20 RealLife thing, don't forget the Evil Inventor prestige class (with obvious reference to tony), as well as the Hook You Up Guy & 1337 Dude prestige classes.
"I'll have to confess, Mr. Chairman, that I am also a video game player. I have worked my way up to Civilization IV. I haven't yet been able to beat it but I at least understand the fundamentals of it." - Texas Representative Joe Barton

Phantom Snowcat
Crazy Person

Post by Phantom Snowcat » Mon May 19, 2003 9:50 am

I havent started on the characters themselves yet, im still trying to work out a decent plot for the game.

Nekra
Crazy Person

Post by Nekra » Tue May 20, 2003 12:27 pm

thats going to be the hard point...coming up with a decent storyline which suits the charecters and is fun to play...

Magical Donut
Crazy Person

Post by Magical Donut » Tue May 20, 2003 6:54 pm

An invention of Tony's gone horribly wrong? PAL gets hacked? Greg runs out of Pepsi?

MasteR
Crazy Person

Post by MasteR » Tue May 20, 2003 7:38 pm

Another concept could be make skins and models with sounds for a game like UT or Quake or something. And then some maps and stuff.

I have experience in making crappy skins for both UT and Q2 and sounds for Q2 (hard in UT so i only did one). I also know how to make maps for both, but much better for UT.

Given some time this could be done.

document
Crazy Person

Post by document » Tue May 20, 2003 7:50 pm

Nekra, OpenGL is something that is quite hard to work with for a n00b to jump in on. The reason why so many people are hopping over into DirectX is because it is much easier to program applications and do things in. OpenGL is far superior when you have someone who is very talented and has a lot of experience doing it.

Programming your own game is a vast undertaking, no matter how much experience you have at C++. I consider myself pretty good at it, I've written plenty of applications including some 2d OpenGL applications, but I wouldn't undertake a game. Far too much time involved.

Get an engine to take care of the majority of the work for you.

tgukempire
Crazy Person

Post by tgukempire » Wed May 21, 2003 2:42 am

how about make up some really lame corp who finds out how to time travel and then they go back in time trying to get UO From EA and make it really crappy, and so greg and them have to get together to stop them by going back in diffrent time periods trying to stop this evil corp from making uo really lame, and they stumble upon some big consipracy yaddi yaddi yadda yadda

sorry if it dosent make sense

Nekra
Crazy Person

Post by Nekra » Thu May 22, 2003 5:24 pm

sorry doc but i have to disagree...out of the two OpenGL is the easier to program for, assuming you use GLUT which unless your a programminggenius you would. DirectX requires learning more windows code...

trust me on this, i'm doing a degree in the production of games

NorthernComfort
Crazy Person

Post by NorthernComfort » Mon May 26, 2003 9:22 pm

I think "Greg runs out of Pepsi" would be a good way to start the game, but then it goes downhill from there. For example, he has to get to the store to stock up on Pepsi, but he gets attacked by California Hippies along the way (level 2). He gets to the store, uses his Gold that he got from the hippies to buy lots of pepsi (which coincidentally heals him). There he runs into Lizzie, who is... the mage. The adventure spirals crazily like all good RPG stories do.... Pepsi is being threatened by the evil Emperor Coca-Cola!! Tony joins your party, bringing his strange gadgetry weapons with him. From there on they have to go across the country to wherever Coca-Cola is located, depose of the evil Emperor, and bring Pepsi back as the reigning soda of choice! :mrgreen:
"I guess I have a gift for expressing pedestrian tastes. In a way, it's kind of depressing." -Bill Watterson