Entertaining Rants and Raves

Play it? Watch it? Listen to it? Post it! Discuss Movies, TV, DVDs, CDs, and Evangelion! Compare Computer, Video, Pen & Paper, Sports, and any other games you want. Most anything entertaining is fair game.
The Cid
Redshirt

Re: Entertaining Rants and Raves

Post by The Cid » Fri Aug 22, 2008 5:42 pm

Because it would undo existence as we know it, Jez. :D

Adciv: Tickets would be awesome of course, but even if you can't get those you'd want to be in Chicago for that. I imagine that much of the city (especially the North Side, obviously) would come together for an event like that. I mean it's only once in a lifetime that you get to see the coyote eat the roadrunner, right?

Rave: This is all bringing back memories of how fun my hometown was to live in back in October of 2004.

Edit:
then it'd be nice at the same time to also keep the sometimes lots of annoying sports R&Rs in their own little ghetto, too ...
Yeah, but recently most of the sports discussion has been confined to even MORE specific threads. I mean, the majority of baseball talk in 2008 has stayed in another thread here in Entertainment, football now has its own thread and so do the Olympic Games.

Joking aside though, I don't think a sports R&R thread is a terrible idea, but that's because I'm...well...me. That'd be like you voting in favor of another WoW thread, Fuggle--pretty easy sell, right?
Last edited by The Cid on Fri Aug 22, 2008 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hirschof wrote:I'm waiting for day you people start thinking with portals.

adciv
Redshirt

Post by adciv » Fri Aug 22, 2008 5:50 pm

The Cid wrote:Adciv: Tickets would be awesome of course, but even if you can't get those you'd want to be in Chicago for that. I imagine that much of the city (especially the North Side, obviously) would come together for an event like that. I mean it's only once in a lifetime that you get to see the coyote eat the roadrunner, right?
Good point, bad analogy. The coyote eating the road runner is a one time only event.
Repensum Est Canicula
The most dangerous words from an Engineer: "I have an idea."
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson

The Cid
Redshirt

Post by The Cid » Fri Aug 22, 2008 5:53 pm

Well no, not really. The coyote can go catch another roadrunner. Sure, it'd be one that hasn't brought about the same amount of frustration, but there's always another.

adciv
Redshirt

Post by adciv » Fri Aug 22, 2008 6:07 pm

There is only one roadrunner. All the others are merely reflections of the one true roadrunner.
Repensum Est Canicula
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson

StruckingFuggle
Redshirt

Post by StruckingFuggle » Fri Aug 22, 2008 6:13 pm

Man, I always disliked the Road Runner. I'm not sure if he's intended to be a [VillainProtagonist] or not, since he's more of a MacGuffin, and a vengeful and bitchy universe is what really comes across as the coyote's antagonist, but ... yeah.

I wonder how many kids rooted for the coyote, and how many for the bird...
"He who lives by the sword dies by my arrow."

"In your histories, there are continual justifications for all manner of hellish actions. Claims of nobility and heritage and honor to cover up every bit of genocide, assassination, and massacre. At least the Horde is honest in their naked lust for power."

adciv
Redshirt

Post by adciv » Fri Aug 22, 2008 6:14 pm

Hint: I don't think anyone rooted for the bird.
Repensum Est Canicula

StruckingFuggle
Redshirt

Post by StruckingFuggle » Fri Aug 22, 2008 6:17 pm

Hm. Good to know.

"In your histories, there are continual justifications for all manner of hellish actions. Claims of nobility and heritage and honor to cover up every bit of genocide, assassination, and massacre. At least the Horde is honest in their naked lust for power."

The Cid
Redshirt

Post by The Cid » Fri Aug 22, 2008 6:41 pm

I bet people who ended up becoming Yankee fans rooted for the bird.

Jezebel
Soapy's Choice

Post by Jezebel » Fri Aug 22, 2008 10:33 pm

I sense some... hostility there. :P

ampersand
Redshirt

Post by ampersand » Sat Aug 23, 2008 6:00 am

He'll have more hostility when Minnesota over takes Boston for the Wild Card, leaving both Boston and New York out of the playoffs, and then watch the overall #1 team in baseball, the Tampa Bay Rays win the whole enchilada.

Deacon
Shining Adonis

Re: Sports Rants and Raves

Post by Deacon » Sat Aug 23, 2008 6:43 pm

StruckingFuggle wrote:so we can pick the best of your lot ...
That would probably be indicated by not calling themselves things like "Panzbear" and "Thunderchicken".
StruckingFuggle wrote:Yeah, but if Arc gets his own sub-R&R just to keep the annoying gaming raves and rants out of the main thread, and there can be a bunch of them, then it'd be nice at the same time to also keep the sometimes lots of annoying sports R&Rs in their own little ghetto, too ...

If Sports R&R gets merged with ERR, because "technically sports are entertainment", then logically ER&R should get merged back with R&R, because R&R covers everything, and Entertainment is both a part of "everything" and they ARE "rants & raves" ... QED, given the logic behind the formation of this thread, Sports should be fine, too.
Technically, you're a giant tool. Shut up.
The follies which a man regrets the most in his life are those which he didn't commit when he had the opportunity. - Helen Rowland, A Guide to Men, 1922

StruckingFuggle
Redshirt

Re: Sports Rants and Raves

Post by StruckingFuggle » Sat Aug 23, 2008 7:52 pm

Deacon wrote:That would probably be indicated by not calling themselves things like "Panzbear" and "Thunderchicken".
Nah, some of the best players I've seen don't disavow the well-known community generally-accepted shorthand-ish nicknames for their build.

/ - / - /

Also, sure, maybe most people rooted for the roadrunner, but I wonder how many sided with Tom against the sociopathic, sadistic douchemouse Jerry ... Hm. I sense a poll... Hm.

Roadrunner was just a smirking jerkass, Jerry was a full-blown VillainProtagonist.
Last edited by StruckingFuggle on Sat Aug 23, 2008 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Deacon
Shining Adonis

Post by Deacon » Sat Aug 23, 2008 8:07 pm

Tom was usually the one picking a fight with Jerry, actually. In fact, the ridiculous way in which you're framing these things makes me wonder wtf kind of shit you went through as a kid to remember it like that.
The follies which a man regrets the most in his life are those which he didn't commit when he had the opportunity. - Helen Rowland, A Guide to Men, 1922

StruckingFuggle
Redshirt

Post by StruckingFuggle » Sat Aug 23, 2008 8:11 pm

Picking a fight? You mean being a cat? Who hunts mice? For humans that, when they're generally noticing the mice, tend to want the cat to kill 'em? Except he tries, and the cunning and cruel mouse manages to routinely abuse him and then frame him for some sort of problem that the human then turns on the poor cat for.

spikegirl7
Redshirt

Post by spikegirl7 » Sat Aug 23, 2008 10:45 pm

Rave: WotLK beta is awesome!
Rant: Definitely work needed before release
'What is morality?'
'Judgment to distinguish right and wrong, vision to see the truth, courage to act upon it, dedication to that which is good, integrity to stand by the good at any price.'