Entertaining Rants and Raves

Play it? Watch it? Listen to it? Post it! Discuss Movies, TV, DVDs, CDs, and Evangelion! Compare Computer, Video, Pen & Paper, Sports, and any other games you want. Most anything entertaining is fair game.
Deacon
Shining Adonis

Re: Entertaining Rants and Raves

Post by Deacon » Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:54 pm

I like it. It's not something I would miss desperately if it were canceled, but I do generally catch every episode. I'd say finish out the second season and go from there.
The follies which a man regrets the most in his life are those which he didn't commit when he had the opportunity. - Helen Rowland, A Guide to Men, 1922

Rorschach
The Immoral Immortal

Post by Rorschach » Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:04 pm

I think maybe we're overdosing on it. Up til today when we got some more DVDs, it was the only thing we were watching so we were watching it four or five episodes at a time. Some programs you can do that with and some you just can't. I'll keep at it and space it out a bit more.
To Let

The Cid
Redshirt

Post by The Cid » Tue Aug 28, 2012 11:32 pm

Rave: Luthor. There's the Superman story I want to see made into a movie.

Can someone suggest a few more good graphic novels about famous supervillains? I have The Killing Joke queued up already, but I feel like I could read a ton of these and enjoy them.
Hirschof wrote:I'm waiting for day you people start thinking with portals.

spikegirl7
Redshirt

Post by spikegirl7 » Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:10 pm

Best. Line. EVER.

[youtube]gENVB6tjq_M[/youtube]
'What is morality?'
'Judgment to distinguish right and wrong, vision to see the truth, courage to act upon it, dedication to that which is good, integrity to stand by the good at any price.'

JermCool
Redshirt

Post by JermCool » Thu Sep 13, 2012 7:46 pm

Rave: Sons of Anarchy. Like Baghead, we're late to the game on this one, but this show is freaking awesome. I never would have picked Katey Sagal for a dramatic role, but damn she pulls it off. And Ron fuckmothering Perlman!

God, I want a bike.
Insert Banner Here
"The internet is bullcrap! And everyone on it is retarded!" - Muspar
"All threads should degenerate into the bumming of JermCool." - Rorschach

The Cid
Redshirt

Post by The Cid » Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:13 pm

Rave: It's the Ryder Cup! I'm not big on watching golf on TV (that's right, even golfers can't watch golf on TV. I think the only reason it airs every week is as a sleep aid.), but I love the concept of the Ryder Cup. For the unaware: The Ryder Cup is where the United States gathers its finest professional golfers to take on an all-star team picked from everybody in Europe. There's also the President's Cup, held in off-years, that is the US vs. The Entire World.

I want to see more events like this. US vs. The World in anything you please. I'd even be down for an entire third Olympiad set up around that concept.

Mega-Rant: That game with the pitch, and the two-tone ball? Not the world's sport. Stop calling it that. More countries care more about golf. Golf is the world's sport. Think about it. Pitch football is the biggest sport in Europe, South America, Africa (excluding South Africa, which is more of a rugby and golf place), the Middle East, and Mexico. Look up the ten biggest countries in the world and tell me how many of them are known for their exploits on the pitch. ("Ummm...Brazil...and...um...Brazil.") So yes, Americans did embrace the World's game, and we did it over a century ago. Hell, three of the four biggest golf tournaments in a given year take place in the United States.

Just Joe
Redshirt

Post by Just Joe » Sat Sep 29, 2012 3:53 pm

Rave: After being convinced to watch the American "Being Human", I recently started the original British "Being Human". Russell Tovey is now my favorite human being ever.

Rorschach
The Immoral Immortal

Post by Rorschach » Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:25 am

The Cid wrote:Rave: It's the Ryder Cup!
*snigger*
Just Joe wrote:the original British "Being Human".
I would ruin Aidan Turner. Ruin him. His next of kin wouldn't recognise him when I was finished.

I've never seen the American version. How does it stack up against the original?
To Let

JermCool
Redshirt

Post by JermCool » Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:31 pm

As with most US remakes of British tele, it sucked ass. Could have been good. Wasn't.

Although, I did not hate the pilot of "Elementary", surprisingly. I initially looked with disgust and disdain at Lucy Liu, but she didn't make me gag as Watson. Still not as good as Sherlock (because Benedict Cumberbatch), but Johnny Lee Miller was suitably unlikable.

I'm trying to figure out now if it was actually enjoyable or if I had my sights set so low on this show that anything that wasn't vomit-inducing was a pleasant surprise.
Insert Banner Here
"The internet is bullcrap! And everyone on it is retarded!" - Muspar
"All threads should degenerate into the bumming of JermCool." - Rorschach

The Cid
Redshirt

Post by The Cid » Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:46 pm

Rorschach wrote:*snigger*
Yeah, yeah. Doesn't change that it was an awesome event. In fact, the ending is one of the reasons it's such a great event to watch.
Rorschach wrote:I would ruin Aidan Turner. Ruin him.
I'm not even entirely sure who that is and I found this funny.

Rorschach
The Immoral Immortal

Post by Rorschach » Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:12 pm

There was an American Sherlock? I didn't know that at all. Of course, I never watched the British version either. In fairness, and has been discussed many times here, trans-Atlantic takeoffs quite often fail on both sides.
The Cid wrote:I'm not even entirely sure who that is and I found this funny.
Go google his picture, Cid. You'll see what I mean. Although you'd really also need the accent for the full package.
To Let

Seir
Redshirt

Post by Seir » Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:09 pm

[quote="Rorschach"In fairness, and has been discussed many times here, trans-Atlantic takeoffs quite often fail on both sides.
[/quote]

You just reminded me of the British remake of "That 70's Show" ugh.
Yo Mav, I'm real happy for you and Imma let you finish but Hirschoff had the best sig trends of all time.

collegestudent22
Redshirt

Post by collegestudent22 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:59 am

JermCool wrote:Although, I did not hate the pilot of "Elementary", surprisingly.

I'm trying to figure out now if it was actually enjoyable or if I had my sights set so low on this show that anything that wasn't vomit-inducing was a pleasant surprise.
Not on Hulu, will not watch. CBS can suck one for that.
Frédéric Bastiat wrote:And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works.
Count Axel Oxenstierna wrote:Dost thou not know, my son, with how little wisdom the world is governed?

Deacon
Shining Adonis

Entertaining Rants and Raves

Post by Deacon » Fri Oct 12, 2012 3:29 am

Rave: while I know Rorschach has had quite enough, I just saw an episode of the new(?) Russell Brand late night show on FX and found him to be very quick witted and funny.
The follies which a man regrets the most in his life are those which he didn't commit when he had the opportunity. - Helen Rowland, A Guide to Men, 1922

Arres
Redshirt

Post by Arres » Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:18 pm

Hmmm...maybe I should give it another go? Watched the first one and was profoundly unimpressed.
Sheldon wrote:For the record, I am waaaay an adult. Like, super-way.
The Ponynati said:You cannot escape us. You cannot stop us. Soon all the world will bow down to the power of ponies.
The Cid wrote:...the text message is the preferred method of communication for prepubescent girls. Bunch of grown men sending digital paper airplanes to each other. Give me a break.