If you have played a Wii SINCE LAUNCH

Play it? Watch it? Listen to it? Post it! Discuss Movies, TV, DVDs, CDs, and Evangelion! Compare Computer, Video, Pen & Paper, Sports, and any other games you want. Most anything entertaining is fair game.
Arres
Crazy Person

If you have played a Wii SINCE LAUNCH

Post by Arres » Thu Nov 23, 2006 2:41 am

I need your input.

Specifically, I want you to try to convince me NOT to buy one.

I already want one, so it's a bit of an uphill battle. I'm not looking for conjecture or "I read". What I want is for people who either preordered or played a friends or whatever, as long as it's personal information.

Crush the fanboi in me. I want to know if there is anything that is such an egregious oversight or bad design that I SHOULDN'T buy one. Impressions and facts are equally valid as long as they are YOURS.
Sheldon wrote:For the record, I am waaaay an adult. Like, super-way.
The Ponynati said:You cannot escape us. You cannot stop us. Soon all the world will bow down to the power of ponies.
The Cid wrote:...the text message is the preferred method of communication for prepubescent girls. Bunch of grown men sending digital paper airplanes to each other. Give me a break.

dmpotter
Crazy Person

Post by dmpotter » Thu Nov 23, 2006 3:24 am

I haven't gotten one yet, so the best I can give you is that, unless you're planning on going out to get one tomorrow, it'll be the Christmas shopping season.

I'm planning on waiting until January before considering getting one. Let the hype die down some.

adciv
Crazy Person

Post by adciv » Thu Nov 23, 2006 3:27 am

Here's what I have heard (personally) from people who have bought one.

1) It is a PITA to get hooked up by wireless to the Internet. But there is a wired adapter. (costs extra)
2) There is the possibility they will release a version next year that will play DVDs.
3) You will have to buy the nun-chuck and the classic controller separately for $20 each.

Other than that. The games work great, the graphics look great, the controller works great, reverse compatibility works great, and the download games work great.
Repensum Est Canicula
The most dangerous words from an Engineer: "I have an idea."
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson

UrzaPlanezwalker
Crazy Person

Post by UrzaPlanezwalker » Thu Nov 23, 2006 3:41 am

adciv: the system comes with one nun-chuck included with the system, so you don't have to buy it separately unless you want more then one.

That said, I bought one, and my only complaint is that it's a bit of a pain to get the sensor bar positioned correctly for tall people like me. You have to be sure to put it a decent amount above where your TV is or else you'll have issues with aiming.

My other gripe is that you have to get it to recognize one wii-mote at a time, or else you have to start all over again.

On a minor note, the instructions on getting it to recognize them are TERRIBLE, but again, it's minor and you eventually realize all you have to do it press a button OTHER then Sync.

That said, I'm having tons of fun with it, so i'm sorry but I gotta tell you you should get one ;p
"As we evolved, we developed tools that let us reach out and touch people from a great distance. Like sniper rifles." - My art teacher

adciv
Crazy Person

Post by adciv » Thu Nov 23, 2006 4:07 am

Ah, my bad. I thought it came with only the wiimote, not the chuck.
Repensum Est Canicula
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson

Arres
Crazy Person

Post by Arres » Thu Nov 23, 2006 4:16 am

Interesting. I had heard that setting it up is kind of a pain, so that isn't too surprising. The other major complaint I heard was that the accuracy of the aiming from the controller is kind of...poopy. What's your experience with that UrzaPlanezwalker?
Sheldon wrote:For the record, I am waaaay an adult. Like, super-way.
The Ponynati said:You cannot escape us. You cannot stop us. Soon all the world will bow down to the power of ponies.
The Cid wrote:...the text message is the preferred method of communication for prepubescent girls. Bunch of grown men sending digital paper airplanes to each other. Give me a break.

Deacon
Shining Adonis

Post by Deacon » Thu Nov 23, 2006 4:22 am

[quote="adciv";p="695331"]Ah, my bad. I thought it came with only the wiimote, not the chuck.[/quote]
WHICH IS WHY HE SAID
[quote="Arres";p="695301"]I'm not looking for conjecture or "I read". What I want is for people who either preordered or played a friends or whatever, as long as it's personal information.[/quote]
The follies which a man regrets the most in his life are those which he didn't commit when he had the opportunity. - Helen Rowland, A Guide to Men, 1922

billf
Pantless power
Pantless power

Post by billf » Thu Nov 23, 2006 4:43 am

The only game really worth buying right now is Zelda. I'm not a huge Zelda fan myself, and don't have the money to blow on a system for a single game anyway.

My brother in-law (who I live with) got one on launch day and I haven't even touched it. It just doesn't look all that intersting.
"We spend the first year of their lives teaching them (children) to walk and talk, and the rest of their lives telling them to shut up and sit down."

Deacon
Shining Adonis

Post by Deacon » Thu Nov 23, 2006 4:44 am

No Monkey Ball or anything else? Really? What games did they buy for it besides Zelda?
The follies which a man regrets the most in his life are those which he didn't commit when he had the opportunity. - Helen Rowland, A Guide to Men, 1922

Prospero
FKA Glue, The Other White Liquid

Post by Prospero » Thu Nov 23, 2006 4:45 am

I wasn't impressed by the launch games. My cousin beat Rayman on the second day - the ending was a real letdown. Legends of Zelda was also a big disappointment. I don't know why - it could have been better.

Neither the console or the games lived up to the hype it was given. The wiimote can often lag just enough for it to be overrated for FPS or any fast-paced games... Red Steel was clunky, and didn't feel like a very good FPS. The DS is better for that sort of thing.

Wii Sports was alright. I like bowling to begin with, so it was novel. I see it getting old fast. It's pretty, but I don't see a reason to get one. The 360 looks more appealing at this point, but I'm sticking with my PS2 for a couple more months.

Deacon
Shining Adonis

Post by Deacon » Thu Nov 23, 2006 4:47 am

For reference, from Penny Arcade...
On Wii ennui: the games that launched this system in the US are not the ones that sold me on the machine's potential. Warioware: Smooth Moves, Metroid Prime 3, and Super Mario Galaxy all find their way into stores next year, each of them a couple months apart. I like ExciteTruck more than any other person on Earth seems to, but I can't stress enough that if you are not quite feeling the magic, I didn't really make a love connection until I played the aforementioned.

Prospero
FKA Glue, The Other White Liquid

Post by Prospero » Thu Nov 23, 2006 5:16 am

Metroid Prime 3 looks to be a very cool game. And very exciting. Super Mario Galaxy looks novel, but somewhat disinteresting. Reminds me of Spore a little bit... without the simulation and building. And I'd rather wait for Spore.

Gouf_Custom
Crazy Person

Post by Gouf_Custom » Thu Nov 23, 2006 9:29 am

Speaking as an owner, I am highly enjoying Legends of Zelda, Ultimate Alliance, and Wii Sports. I haven't delved much into Red Steel, and while it's no PC FPS, it's somewhat entertaining. The thing with Wii Sports is that it isn't a solo game, it's a party game. And it's fantastic at that.

Plus a just made a Mii of Adolf Hitler. He's a great shortstop.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you fall into an open sewer and die." -Mel Brooks

Hennet_sim
Crazy Person

Post by Hennet_sim » Thu Nov 23, 2006 3:40 pm

I been playing Zelda since it came out it is fun. The only bad thing i got so far is when my batteries went out.
... holy shit, Hennet, was that english?-StruckingFuggle
Xbox Live ID: hennet sim
PSN Account: Hennet_sim
Wii U:hennetsims

adciv
Crazy Person

Post by adciv » Thu Nov 23, 2006 5:34 pm

What's the point of the Mii?
Repensum Est Canicula