What to play?

Play it? Watch it? Listen to it? Post it! Discuss Movies, TV, DVDs, CDs, and Evangelion! Compare Computer, Video, Pen & Paper, Sports, and any other games you want. Most anything entertaining is fair game.
FirebirdNC
Mad Hatteras

What to play?

Post by FirebirdNC » Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:33 pm

So I have been on the lookout for a new game to play. I really love Warcraft but almost solely for the questing aspect. I am old and my twitch reflex to try and mash a bunch of buttons to kick somethings ass is pretty laughable. I like the more relax/explore type of gameplay. I have been told I might like Witcher 3, Divinity OS 2 or Skyrim. Anyone played these or have any other games to suggest? I don't really want to spend $50 and then find I hate it.
~Insert clever bon mot here~

Seir
Crazy Person

Re: What to play?

Post by Seir » Sat Jan 19, 2019 5:12 am

You can't go wrong with any of those RPG's that you mentioned, all three of them are great, it's just a matter of whether you want to play in first/third person or 3/4's overhead.

For the exploration type of game I recommend Subnautica where you play the survivor of a starship that crashed onto waterworld.

If you want something that's relaxing I definitely recommend Stardew Valley, which is the PC's answer to animal crossing.

EDIT: I forgot to mention, that if you're into JRPG's there's Dragon Quest XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age.
Yo Mav, I'm real happy for you and Imma let you finish but Hirschoff had the best sig trends of all time.

I like pie
Crazy Person

Post by I like pie » Sat Jan 19, 2019 6:22 am

If you don't mind the plug, I run a old web game called Imperial Conflict. It's definitely not a button masher lol. We've been around for about 18 years and are always happy to welcome new players. :)
"It's like Garr and Andre 3000 of Outkast had a child!" -- StruckingFuggle p339018

Real Life Chat on Discord

FirebirdNC
Mad Hatteras

Post by FirebirdNC » Sat Jan 19, 2019 1:18 pm

Seir wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 5:12 am
You can't go wrong with any of those RPG's that you mentioned, all three of them are great, it's just a matter of whether you want to play in first/third person or 3/4's overhead.

For the exploration type of game I recommend Subnautica where you play the survivor of a starship that crashed onto waterworld.

If you want something that's relaxing I definitely recommend Stardew Valley, which is the PC's answer to animal crossing.

EDIT: I forgot to mention, that if you're into JRPG's there's Dragon Quest XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age.
Thanks for the info! I actually downloaded Subnautica a couple of weeks ago they had it free for 24 hours. My habitat is looking pretty spiffy already :).

Seir
Crazy Person

Post by Seir » Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:12 pm

Is it me or is Magnitite a bitch to find?
Yo Mav, I'm real happy for you and Imma let you finish but Hirschoff had the best sig trends of all time.

FirebirdNC
Mad Hatteras

Post by FirebirdNC » Sun Jan 20, 2019 1:42 pm

Seir wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:12 pm
Is it me or is Magnitite a bitch to find?
I will let you know when I find some :P.

Rorschach
The Immoral Immortal

Post by Rorschach » Mon Jan 28, 2019 7:45 pm

I am a cowboy and will be for years to come, by the looks of things.

Who knew choosing which bait to fish with was such an integral part of the Wild West lifestyle?
To Let

volebagels
Crazy Person

Post by volebagels » Thu Mar 07, 2019 2:34 pm

Get some Halo 5 online! It's really the best with the Super Fiesta mode, as you get 2 different weapons every time you respawn

volebagels
Crazy Person

Post by volebagels » Tue Apr 02, 2019 7:48 am

Who's playing Red Dead Redemption 2 online? I only finished the main story recently, but haven't gotten around to trying the online version yet.

raptor9k
Crazy Person

Post by raptor9k » Tue Jul 21, 2020 4:17 pm

What's everyone playing these days?

I still play WoW retail and whatever FPS games steam puts on sale from time to time.

There are a few games that intrigue me right now:
Hardspace: Shipbreaker - zero gravity scrapping of spaceships. You maneuver around in a spacesuit and use an energy grapple and laser cutter to take giant spaceships apart and recycle their components. It is early access but very well executed. I've played several hours of this in both 'Career' mode (15 minute shifts and oxygen depletion) as well as free play. I like the puzzle aspect of it. Cut the wrong thing or forget to disarm/empty a fuel system and you can trigger a nuclear detonation.

Satisfactory: You use the raw materials of an alien planet to build massive factories to produce stuff. Always looking for more efficiency. I haven't played this one yet but I'll probably pick it up soon.

Trine 1/2/3/4 - Side scrolling puzzle solver with combat. Your character is a Trinity composed of a Thief, Wizard, and Knight bound together by a magic artifact. You pick the character that best suits the situation and you can scroll through them instantly as needed. Wizard levitates things, Knight has a shield and sword, Thief has a grappling hook and bow. PC or Switch and I think you can get the lot for ~$25-30. My son and I are currently playing these on and off.

NorthernComfort
Crazy Person

Post by NorthernComfort » Tue Jul 21, 2020 4:45 pm

Classic wow eats all my gaming time. Overwatch once in a blue moon. I fear new games. I fear change.
"I guess I have a gift for expressing pedestrian tastes. In a way, it's kind of depressing." -Bill Watterson

raptor9k
Crazy Person

Post by raptor9k » Tue Jul 21, 2020 7:02 pm

I enjoy new games. My problem is I usually get bored with a game long before I finish it. I like the open world Far Cry style shooters but I want the story to leave me the hell alone so I can just play around. I would kill for a single player open world Escape From Tarkov or a non-VR Hot Dogs, Horseshoes & Hand Grenades. I don't enjoy Battle Royale type shooters because my reaction time has degraded enough I can't compete with the 12 yr olds. Weapon customization is fun to me especially if you have to gather resources for some type of crafting.

Sir Spankspeople
Crazy Person

Post by Sir Spankspeople » Fri Jul 24, 2020 1:33 pm

I'm playing WoW and FFXIV, though I'm taking a bit of a break from both since we're mid-content on either side.

I've been using the downtime to catch up on my single player games. Finally finished Control, and did the Foundation DLC, and I can honestly say it's probably my GotY from last year. It's in my favourite genre: Redhead Simulator, and it's just good clean fun with an interesting world and beautiful architecture.

Now that I'm "done" with Control (I've still got *a lot* of side quests to get back to, but my attention span is poor so I don't want to burn out) I've gone back to Horizon: Zero Dawn (another one of my favourite Redhead Simulators, and my GotY for whatever year it was released), since I never did the Frozen Wilds expansion. Gameplay is super fun (there is nothing more satisfying than going after a large robo-dino with tearblast arrows and slowly taking it apart), story is neat, and the backstory/collectibles (through which the backstory is told) is top notch. Again with my terrible attention span, it's one of the first games I've ever wanted to get 100% completion on, because every single collectible tells part of the story.

Once I'm done with that it's either back to Sekiro or Death Stranding, both of which I've only just started to play. Guess I've got less than 20 days 'til FFXIV's 5.3 patch though. Aside from new story, most of the grindy stuff that I want to do there doesn't come 'til closer to September with 5.3x so hopefully I can keep up this motivation to single play, and get through my backlog.

My wife picked up Ghost of Tsushima and it is so good. It's like when RDR2 was announced and everyone was asking "Wouldn't it be cool if Rockstar made a GTA/RDR type game in the style of a Kurosawa movie?" but Sucker Punch beat them to it, and did such a good job.
In vino veritas
In aqua sanitas

gravity
Crazy Person

Post by gravity » Sun Jul 26, 2020 2:02 pm

I started playing Minecraft again. So, of course, I go and mine a shit ton of iron just to make a rail track to the nearest village that takes ten minutes to ride. Yep, with full powered rails and nice intervals, it takes ten minutes to ride the track. Shit ton of iron.

Apparently I have not changed my playing style of 'mine everything' in the last ten years. At least Netflix is now streaming, so I can watch them in the background while I mine everything.

auntmousie
Crazy Person

Post by auntmousie » Wed Jul 29, 2020 6:53 am

I picked WoW up after a six-month hiatus, and started playing on one of the Classic servers... and since starting there, I haven't logged into my retail account more than twice.

It's amazing how much fun it is to really honestly start from zero again. The mechanics are as broken as they ever were and I love them.
When all is said and done, more is generally said than is done.
Ask me anything - no, really - but be warned: I will answer. If you didn't want to know... don't ask.