The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Play it? Watch it? Listen to it? Post it! Discuss Movies, TV, DVDs, CDs, and Evangelion! Compare Computer, Video, Pen & Paper, Sports, and any other games you want. Most anything entertaining is fair game.
The Cid
Crazy Person

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Post by The Cid » Sat Mar 04, 2017 2:41 am

Only about a very slow-playing hour in (I milk my time in great video game worlds) I'm already a bit blown away. And not just in the WiiU having a relevant title for the first time since *Super Mario Maker* either.

Granted, I have strong bias toward liking Nintendo's offerings. I love the series so much I've slowly been learning to speedrun the original. Hell, I love the series so much I got completely lost in Zelda Theories on Youtube (both for nerdiness and the unintentional hilarity of it all--there are HOURS of these things, and they're almost all hyper-bloody, and it's all directly Nintendo's fault for putting forth an official timeline. Long story short, turns out the official pastime of Hyrule is genocide!)

But that said, I think my favorite part of this game is how it seems to draw from so many non-Nintendo products. The trailers make it look like it should be called The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Just Dead Assassin's Uncharted Arkham Fallout and that's going to earn my seal of approval any day.

Anyone else playing this? Is it living up to expectations?
Hirschof wrote:I'm waiting for day you people start thinking with portals.

Deacon
Shining Adonis

Re: The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Post by Deacon » Sat Mar 04, 2017 5:01 am

I thought it was only for Switch?
The follies which a man regrets the most in his life are those which he didn't commit when he had the opportunity. - Helen Rowland, A Guide to Men, 1922

Sir Spankspeople
Crazy Person

Post by Sir Spankspeople » Sat Mar 04, 2017 5:06 am

Deacon wrote:
Sat Mar 04, 2017 5:01 am
I thought it was only for Switch?
It was designed for Wii U but took so long they decided to release it on both. Main difference is 900p resolution instead of 720p, and... Actually that's about it. Most of the comparison videos make it look nearly identical on both, and some of the current slowdown issues seem like they might be bugs rather than poor performance.

I'm glad I'm so caught up in Horizon: Zero Dawn right now. By the time I can afford BotW it'll have been decided whether it's worth picking up on Wii U, or if I should save up more for a Switch too.

I'd really love to get one last hurrah out of my Wii U.
Inflammatory signatures hurt us all...

NorthernComfort
Crazy Person

Post by NorthernComfort » Sat Mar 04, 2017 7:26 am

I actually just checked a few reviews and got tempted to get a switch... but I don't think I'll follow through- bit pricey considering I'd probably just play this one game.

So... instead I've put on ocarina of time OST for some nostalgia, and am promising myself that I will play it at some point down the road when I can snag a used or borrow a friends.
"I guess I have a gift for expressing pedestrian tastes. In a way, it's kind of depressing." -Bill Watterson

The Cid
Crazy Person

Post by The Cid » Sat Mar 04, 2017 3:36 pm

Sir Spankspeople wrote:
Sat Mar 04, 2017 5:06 am
I'd really love to get one last hurrah out of my Wii U.
I have to admit, I love the WiiU and I'm a little bummed it'll go down as a disappointment. Yes, there was a very limited library of games, but I guess those games just hit my sweet spot more often than not. (For example: I adored Super Mario 3D World.) If nothing else, it's a great console for the speedrunning enthusiast, and not just for those romhack style Mario Maker levels. Plus I never got around to getting an original Wii, so I could always boost the library with a Punch-Out or Skyward Sword when I needed to.

I bought the console (granted, a couple years ago) for three reasons: Super Mario 3D World, Mario Maker, and Breath of the Wild. Hard for me to walk away disappointed when I loved the first two experiences (and continue to love Mario Maker) and the third is nailing it so far.
NorthernComfort wrote:
Sat Mar 04, 2017 7:26 am
I actually just checked a few reviews and got tempted to get a switch... but I don't think I'll follow through- bit pricey considering I'd probably just play this one game.
I feel like the Switch is going to sink or swim on their promise of more third party titles, as that's been a growing problem for Nintendo consoles for a while now. If you like Nintendo's intellectual property they'll probably keep delivering in that regard, they pretty much always have. But if they can start expanding their library with some of the new releases people are playing on PS4, XB1, and PC that will go a long way.

---
Every game should give you some kind of infinite parachute. The entire video game industry could learn much from Just Cause. I will never object to any game--not even a series I love like Zelda games--trying to be a little more like Just Cause.

NorthernComfort
Crazy Person

Post by NorthernComfort » Sat Mar 04, 2017 5:39 pm

For awhile I've enjoyed Nintendo games about 6-7 years late, so I'm always a full console generation behind. They don't go for cutting edge graphics so it never feels super outdated. But, damn, the way they're describing exploring Breath of the Wild makes a trip to Hyrule extreeeemely tempting.
Every game should give you some kind of infinite parachute.
Haha, I noticed that immediately, and it reminded me of another game/world I adored... warcraft. I played a priest, so climbing mountains and floating away was a key form of transportation. I tried a different class that couldn't levitate and was like, um, no. Priest life.

https://youtu.be/yo3f_6Fy1Lk?t=45s
"I guess I have a gift for expressing pedestrian tastes. In a way, it's kind of depressing." -Bill Watterson

Sir Spankspeople
Crazy Person

Post by Sir Spankspeople » Sat Mar 04, 2017 6:01 pm

NorthernComfort wrote:
Sat Mar 04, 2017 5:39 pm
Haha, I noticed that immediately, and it reminded me of another game/world I adored... warcraft. I played a priest, so climbing mountains and floating away was a key form of transportation. I tried a different class that couldn't levitate and was like, um, no. Priest life.
My main's a Shadow Priest, my main alt is a Mage, and I made a Demon Hunter for Legion, so imagine my surprise when I boosted a Warlock and jumped off a cliff not thinking about it, hit the hotkey I've usually got dedicated to levitate/slow fall, and... why am I still falling?

As for the Wii U, my wife bought it for me, off a coworker who was selling it. Apart from Twilight Princess and Wind Waker HD, all the games for it are the Wii games I missed. Skyward Sword and The Last Story and all that. Trying to track down Silent Hill.
Inflammatory signatures hurt us all...

The Cid
Crazy Person

Post by The Cid » Sat Mar 04, 2017 10:01 pm

My main was a rogue. I can't remember what tricks I had to get around. I also made a lot of characters when I played WoW, but I can't remember most of their classes because I don't play MMOs properly. I remember my alts as a banker, a fisher(wo)man, a crafter (inscriptionist/alchemist), and an archaeologist. The overall mission was to screw with the auction houses and do a lot of exploring. I got really good at it after a while. I also barely played the actual game in any way. Couple of trips to arenas and some early questing to get the foundation on which I built my fortune.
NorthernComfort wrote:
Sat Mar 04, 2017 5:39 pm
For awhile I've enjoyed Nintendo games about 6-7 years late, so I'm always a full console generation behind. They don't go for cutting edge graphics so it never feels super outdated.
Agreed. I also like that the "cartoony" look of a lot of their games can make a lot of the power they have. Wind Waker has aged incredibly well, for example, and I really liked the art in Super Mario 3D World as well.

BtEO
Crazy Person

Post by BtEO » Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:32 am

Good god being caught out in the open in this game during the middle of a lightning storm is fucking terrifying. I know unequipping anything metal helps — but I've no idea if it removes the chance of being struck of just lowers it.

The Cid
Crazy Person

Post by The Cid » Sat May 20, 2017 5:06 am

Still playing through it, but this ought to sum up my feelings.

Also my feelings on Gorons in general. Most games could use more Gorons.

JermCool
Crazy Person

Post by JermCool » Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:10 am

I got a Switch for Christmas. I’m still not done. I am getting ALL THE HEART CONTAINERS!

This game is evil. The DLC stuff is so incredibly hard, but the rewards are so great it seems dumb not to do them. No game since Tomb Raider 2 has made me so frustrated yet so addicted.
Insert Banner Here
"The internet is bullcrap! And everyone on it is retarded!" - Muspar
"All threads should degenerate into the bumming of JermCool." - Rorschach

Gageno
Crazy Person

Post by Gageno » Fri Sep 07, 2018 11:48 am

I agree, it can be pretty brutal in the beginning. But I found that it gets a lot easier after the first half of the game when you get geared up a bit and start using all the abilities properly. I really enjoyed the difficult parts for some reason though. lol