Avatars and You : Secrets Revealed!

Let us know how we're doing on the forums, and pose any suggestions you might have or problems with the forums you may have found.
Jadefire
Crazy Person

Re: Avatars and You : Secrets Revealed!

Post by Jadefire » Sun Nov 14, 2010 8:29 am

Sir Spankspeople wrote:Oh, we've already cured the common cold. We've just not released the cure on a public level, because it amuses us.
Understandable. Old ladies pissing themselves every time they sneeze is always good for a laugh.

Sir Spankspeople
Crazy Person

Post by Sir Spankspeople » Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:33 am

Hell, in some Canadian provinces it's the official sport!
Inflammatory signatures hurt us all...

jeolmaga
Crazy Person
Omnicode: Turning Slowly into Dust. Aren't we all?

Post by jeolmaga » Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:21 pm

I'm just using adobe illustrator thats just me.

Deacon
Shining Adonis

Post by Deacon » Wed Jun 13, 2012 6:02 am

Rise. RIIIIIIIIIISE....

I have a request for the almighty people-who-know-wtf-they're-doing to do something for me. The MLP avatars were cool, and Britney the snarling kitten has put in for retirement, so I'm looking for something else to act as my avatar. What I'd rally love, if it can be made to work, is the following image of Tracer Bullet, leaning back outside the oval border and gun pointing out as far as possible. I don't really know what can be done exactly, but I know there are a number of you here with the both the technological capability and an eye for the aesthetic who can somehow pull it off looking snazzy.

I would be very grateful.

Note: I do have some higher res "cleaned up" versions people have put out there, and they will work fine except that they're missing the actual three cartridge casings coming up out of the ejector port.
The follies which a man regrets the most in his life are those which he didn't commit when he had the opportunity. - Helen Rowland, A Guide to Men, 1922

BtEO
Crazy Person

Post by BtEO » Wed Jun 13, 2012 5:20 pm

First: You're welcome.

Second: There are two problems.
The barrel flash is incomplete, missing sections would need to be redrawn for the gun to break out of the oval. Beyond my skills, but someone else may take a crack.
The perspective used further limits options. It's impossible for me to break the gun out of the oval, but it breaks perspective to have him leaning out with the gun remaining inside the oval.

So that left me with two options, which I duly created to show there's no hard feelings for your disgraceful pony desertion.

The first is a simple oval crop, you lose most of the the gun, but the casings are quite nicely framed and it keeps to the forum convention.
The second is a full oval replacement. The gun is preserved, but at the expense of the standard RLF style.

Deacon
Shining Adonis

Post by Deacon » Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:22 pm

Very nice, sir. Thank you! I'll probably end up giving both a try for a week or two and see which "feels" right.

I see what you mean about the muzzle blast being incomplete. Did you make or simply find that wallpaper? I found several others that were very, very similar except that for whatever reason they'd edited out the shell casings.
The follies which a man regrets the most in his life are those which he didn't commit when he had the opportunity. - Helen Rowland, A Guide to Men, 1922

BtEO
Crazy Person

Post by BtEO » Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:01 pm

I found it. I'd recommend doing a deviantArt search alongside Google Images (or whatever) when you're searching for things like that. Virtually all my Pony sources came from there.

I didn't test the one you're using in full context, rather pleased with how it looks actually.

Deacon
Shining Adonis

Post by Deacon » Thu Jun 14, 2012 5:21 am

Agreed :)

The Cid
Crazy Person

Post by The Cid » Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:17 pm

"I keep two magnums in my desk. One's a gun and I keep it loaded. The other's a bottle and it keeps ME loaded."

Nice job on the Tracer Bullet avatar, BtEO.

Huge improvement, Deacon.
Hirschof wrote:I'm waiting for day you people start thinking with portals.

bagheadinc
Bay Harbor Butcher
Omnicode: sxy cm178 kg95 skf8bba9.freckles hab84700 ey324aca esO.glasses sp= Ag1985.December.18 anE hdd Lo38,26N-75,48W Zos Rl! Kd! MBENTP FHg UFMatt IN8 AdI PrC++(6)

Post by bagheadinc » Fri Jun 15, 2012 4:13 am

I'm always a fan of avatars that break outside of the oval, so I whipped this up. :)

Also, these oval avatars are gonna look a bit silly if somebody actually finds the time to work on a new forum layout. :P

Edit: Oh god, I forgot how awful these smileys are

Deacon
Shining Adonis

Post by Deacon » Fri Jun 15, 2012 6:37 pm

The may look silly then, but for now I love it. That's fantastic. Thanks!

And yes, the smileys are awful.

BtEO
Crazy Person

Post by BtEO » Sat Jun 16, 2012 9:00 am

Not sure why I didn't think to remove the muzzle flash. :/