Windows 8 - Just For Tablets?

Q&A, advice, reviews, and news about the computers, phones, TVs, stereos, and pretty much anything else that can't be easily whittled out of a stick or chipped out of stone.
collegestudent22
Crazy Person

Re: Windows 8 - Just For Tablets?

Post by collegestudent22 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:29 am

Yeah, but it is taking FOREVER to install. I mean, seriously, FOREVER. It's only a couple of steps (noted only by a change in the files being applied) ahead of where it was when I took that screenshot, which was five hours ago. And yet, I can't tell if it is stuck, or just really slow due to the crappy internet connection I'm on (it IS something like 7.5 GB total that need to be installed). If there was a decent progress tracking display....
Frédéric Bastiat wrote:And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works.
Count Axel Oxenstierna wrote:Dost thou not know, my son, with how little wisdom the world is governed?

ampersand
Crazy Person

Windows 8 - Just For Tablets?

Post by ampersand » Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:01 am

And I'm starting to like Dreamweaver more and more.

collegestudent22
Crazy Person

Post by collegestudent22 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:47 am

Eh? Isn't Dreamweaver a web development program, not a general programming application?
Frédéric Bastiat wrote:And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works.
Count Axel Oxenstierna wrote:Dost thou not know, my son, with how little wisdom the world is governed?

ampersand
Crazy Person

Post by ampersand » Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:59 am

Yes, it is. Most of the things I was training to do were towards creating web development pages anyway, which I am finding Dreamweaver (and Fireworks to a lesser extent) works nicely as well. Besides, if you were wanting just a pure programming tool, there are a lot of freeware/shareware stuff that works fairly well, from Notebook+ to Oracle's Netbeans software.

Because of the expense of having the full Visual Studio package, I just have the Express versions of Visual Studio, which is just the program broken down into its various counterparts (C#, Web Development) that I need to program in C#. I would be interested if Microsoft decides to do what Adobe did and have a subscription service for its complete package.

collegestudent22
Crazy Person

Post by collegestudent22 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:55 pm

ampersand wrote: Because of the expense of having the full Visual Studio package, I just have the Express versions of Visual Studio, which is just the program broken down into its various counterparts (C#, Web Development) that I need to program in C#.
Same for me. Although I tend to program more in C++, C, and MASM at the moment. The beta for 11 just happens to be free, so I thought I would try it out. In general, it's.... different. I'm not sure if I prefer the layout of VS 2010, or just need to adapt to this:

I would be interested if Microsoft decides to do what Adobe did and have a subscription service for its complete package.
$500 is a bit steep. On the other hand, the "ultimate" version, according to the MS website, is priced at $11,900. I think I can make do with the free shit.

ampersand
Crazy Person

Post by ampersand » Tue Mar 06, 2012 4:49 pm

Do you know if Microsoft will have an Express version for 11? I had thought they would try to not have an express version and cow tow any Express 10 owner to pay up for 11.

collegestudent22
Crazy Person

Post by collegestudent22 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:59 pm

No idea, but I don't see why they would stop releasing an "express" version now. Although, I also can't see why they would push touch screen related UIs on obviously non-touch platforms either, so....

collegestudent22
Crazy Person

Post by collegestudent22 » Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:37 am

Well, this is interesting. If only because of the insight into the dev teams ideas - they seem to have thought about touch a LOT, some about so-called "power users" that generally use keyboard shortcuts to get around, and almost completely ignored the mouse. So they have laptops and tablets figured out, but pretty much left desktop (and more casual laptop) users in the cold.

ampersand
Crazy Person

Post by ampersand » Mon Oct 29, 2012 2:46 am

So while shopping, I saw they had new laptops and even the Windows Surface on display. Played around with it for a bit, and I'll be honest, my biggest problem with Windows 8 is that it's minimal and ugly, a really bad Postmodern square programming graphic design that who had people like me who are fairly savvy with touch screen stuff, scratching my head around it.

It's very counter intuitive and frankly fairly dull to look at. I know you can revert Windows 8 to have a Windows 7 look, but I couldn't figure out how to make the change, and neither could the Fry's computer expert.

I'm thinking about a year down the road, when they see the Enterprise business side not going for Windows 8, they'll come out with Windows 9 and making 8 look like the worst thing since Windows Vista. All because they tried to be too different, when people were expecting the same or perhaps a bit more like Apple.