Firefox freezes up after a bit of use.

Q&A, advice, reviews, and news about the computers, phones, TVs, stereos, and pretty much anything else that can't be easily whittled out of a stick or chipped out of stone.
Donomni
Crazy Person

Firefox freezes up after a bit of use.

Post by Donomni » Wed Nov 22, 2006 1:10 am

Mozilla calls it hanging, but it's still annoying.

I've tried everything in the article, and I've also done a full uninstall/reinstall. Nothing seems to work. Help/suggestions?

My processor is an Intel Celeron D 356, 3.33 GHz, with a 512 MB DDR SDRAM, running on Windows XP Media Center edition, if that helps any.

billf
Pantless power
Pantless power

Post by billf » Wed Nov 22, 2006 2:32 am

I've got problems with the latest build of Firefox as well. It crashes a couple of times a day on me, but it doesn't bother me too much since I don't really do anything important with my computer.
"We spend the first year of their lives teaching them (children) to walk and talk, and the rest of their lives telling them to shut up and sit down."

Deacon
Shining Adonis

Post by Deacon » Wed Nov 22, 2006 2:39 am

Have you tried shutting down Firefox, removing the Mozilla folder from %AppData%, and re-opening? And can you maybe, like, describe what's happening and when?
The follies which a man regrets the most in his life are those which he didn't commit when he had the opportunity. - Helen Rowland, A Guide to Men, 1922

Kurosen
Crazy Person

Post by Kurosen » Wed Nov 22, 2006 2:40 am

OMGIFINALLYREMOVEDIT!!

Deacon
Shining Adonis

Post by Deacon » Wed Nov 22, 2006 2:47 am

I think BtEO just creamed his bloomers.
The follies which a man regrets the most in his life are those which he didn't commit when he had the opportunity. - Helen Rowland, A Guide to Men, 1922

Donomni
Crazy Person

Post by Donomni » Wed Nov 22, 2006 4:17 am

And it ain't whipped cream, either. :P

Anywho, tried the removal of FF from App Data, started up a with a new profile, same as before; the symptoms of which is that after a while(10-20 minutes) from startup, FF periodically stops, seems to take up all my processing power for a moment or two, then returns to normal. This continues to happen until I close out completely, which sometimes forces me to do a forced quit through the Windows Task Manager. Once I restart FF, everything is ok... for about another 10-20 minutes, then it starts up again.

dmpotter
Crazy Person

Post by dmpotter » Wed Nov 22, 2006 4:24 am

Is this happening regardless of what pages you visit? If you don't visit any pages, does it happen anyway?

What extensions are you using?

Donomni
Crazy Person

Post by Donomni » Wed Nov 22, 2006 9:59 pm

It does happen regardless of pages, it sometimes happens when I didn't even move to a new/old page. I'm using the Fasterfox, NoScript, and Adblock Plus extensions, all at there latest version.

jimkatai
Crazy Person

Post by jimkatai » Wed Nov 22, 2006 11:31 pm

[quote="Kurosen";p="694899"]>_>

<_<

http://www.opera.com/[/quote]

You know, there really needs to be a rule against these posts. There seems to be one of the type in any thread that mentions a problem with a brand.
Stand in awe of my creativity

dmpotter
Crazy Person

Post by dmpotter » Wed Nov 22, 2006 11:41 pm

Out of the listed extensions, I really want to blame Fasterfox. It's almost certainly something that's triggering a bug with Firefox's garbage collector.

Memo
Crazy Person

Post by Memo » Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:33 am

[quote="jimkatai";p="695229"][quote="Kurosen";p="694899"]>_>

<_<

http://www.opera.com/[/quote]

You know, there really needs to be a rule against these posts. There seems to be one of the type in any thread that mentions a problem with a brand.[/quote]
Technically it would solve the problem, but I agree, if only because I hate reading 'OMG LINUX LOLOLOL' posts when I'm in a thread about a Windows problem. :?