Son of Rantettes & Ravettes

Complain or gush all you like - this is the place to do it.
FirebirdNC
Mad Hatteras

Re: Son of Rantettes & Ravettes

Post by FirebirdNC » Sat Dec 24, 2016 3:39 pm

Is that for toys or time out lol? Looks awesome I would be happy as an adult to get that for Christmas only more sparkly cause that's how I roll.
~Insert clever bon mot here~

Deacon
Shining Adonis

Post by Deacon » Sat Dec 24, 2016 4:40 pm

Did you make that? Details!
The follies which a man regrets the most in his life are those which he didn't commit when he had the opportunity. - Helen Rowland, A Guide to Men, 1922

raptor9k
Crazy Person

Post by raptor9k » Sun Dec 25, 2016 3:01 am

Yup, I made it this week. It's made of 1/2" cabinet grade birch ply with 2"x2" pine supports at the joints. I built the box and then plunge cut the door, installing the hardware before I cut the top and bottom free. Chisel cut the pockets for the hinges to lay flush. I put two coats of minwax classic grey stain followed by two coats of spar urethane. It's basically a copy of my Winchester gun safe for him to store his nerf guns and swords and stuff in. My wife cut the vinyl decals on her sillouette based on images ripped off Google image search.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
I'm putting my talents and skills to use for a business so that I receive compensatory funds that I may then choose to spend and invest and save as I see fit. If I choose to blow it all on hookers and Dr. Seuss books, I don't see how that means you owe me a comfortable retirement. - Deacon

Deacon
Shining Adonis

Post by Deacon » Sun Dec 25, 2016 6:56 am

That is super cool. Nice job! :D
The follies which a man regrets the most in his life are those which he didn't commit when he had the opportunity. - Helen Rowland, A Guide to Men, 1922

raptor9k
Crazy Person

Post by raptor9k » Sun Dec 25, 2016 9:53 pm

I ran out of time before Christmas but I still plan on replacing the black barrel latch with a center 3 spoke wheel that connects to a dowel rod locking bolt on the back of the door.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
I'm putting my talents and skills to use for a business so that I receive compensatory funds that I may then choose to spend and invest and save as I see fit. If I choose to blow it all on hookers and Dr. Seuss books, I don't see how that means you owe me a comfortable retirement. - Deacon

Rorschach
Crazy Person

Post by Rorschach » Tue Dec 27, 2016 9:28 pm

That is very cool. I'm jealous of the skill that must have taken.
What else have you built?
To Let

raptor9k
Crazy Person

Post by raptor9k » Tue Jan 03, 2017 4:11 pm

Mostly small stuff. I've build a computer table for the wife's office and some shelves here and there. The biggest thing I've done was our whole closet organizer. Double clothes bars on each side with a 16" deep shelf above it. Two shorter dress/long garment bars on the back wall with shoe and sweater shelves in the middle and 2 rows of 16" deep shelves above the clothes bars. Most of it is just learning how to hide your screw ups. Belt sanders and wood filler are my go to remedies for a lack of better tools like a table saw. There are tons of good resources online for tips and tricks that make average work look much cleaner.

Rorschach
Crazy Person

Post by Rorschach » Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:47 am

Rant: Back to work today.

Rave: It's not Monday.
To Let

Rorschach
Crazy Person

Post by Rorschach » Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:20 am

Rave: I was mistaken for a student by another lecturer on Friday.
Rant: Some lecturers are dicks to students.
To Let

Deacon
Shining Adonis

Post by Deacon » Tue Jan 31, 2017 3:41 pm

Did he think you were a foreigner?

FirebirdNC
Mad Hatteras

Post by FirebirdNC » Wed Feb 15, 2017 5:05 am

I really wish I had one place just ONE between work and home that wasn't filled with sad, semi drunk or stoned people. Ugh it is wearing on my last nerve I tell you people. I am reasonably even-keeled so the drama I just can't understand or deal with, I like to be a professional and take pride in my work not stumble through it and then expect the sober (me) person to correct my mistakes. I know everyone has their vices and issues but for petes sake do they all have to put me under pressure to "fix things" or "make them happy". Again ugh I say. and yes the drinking and drug use at work is tolerated and not a firing offense. So to come home and have some of the same issues in my "safeplace" I am not a happy camper. If I was on imgur that would need a confession bear. Ok off to bed for tomorrow is a new day!

FirebirdNC
Mad Hatteras

Post by FirebirdNC » Wed Feb 15, 2017 5:07 am

Rave? I just saw from that post that yesterday was my 10 year anniversary on RLF. I expect shiny presents in the mail haha.

Deacon
Shining Adonis

Post by Deacon » Wed Feb 15, 2017 5:56 am

You mean they weren't waiting for you on your porch? Damn thieves!

I don't know what to tell you about substance abuse. It just sucks all the way around. Hopefully he pulls through and manages a change. I'm not sure if there are a lot of resources around your area. But it does make for some memorable, if lachrymose song lyrics, like "Whiskey Lullaby" by Brad Paisley & Allison Krauss.

Rorschach
Crazy Person

Post by Rorschach » Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:47 pm

Hey, happy forumversity.

Some people need their knuckles rapped, IMO. And this is coming from a man who needs to drink less.
To Let

FirebirdNC
Mad Hatteras

Post by FirebirdNC » Sat Feb 18, 2017 1:14 pm

Sorry if I brought the mood down, sometimes it just gets to me and you lucky people get to hear about it. You are welcome :).