Randomness

Talk about whatever you feel like.
raptor9k
Crazy Person

Re: Randomness

Post by raptor9k » Sat Jul 01, 2017 8:21 pm

Time to start leaving my 10.5" 5.56 AR "pistol" in the truck. 9 drive by shootings and 23 people shot in a nightclub in the last 7 days in Little Rock. People wonder why I carry 2 hand guns on a standard day at the office.
I'm putting my talents and skills to use for a business so that I receive compensatory funds that I may then choose to spend and invest and save as I see fit. If I choose to blow it all on hookers and Dr. Seuss books, I don't see how that means you owe me a comfortable retirement. - Deacon

NorthernComfort
Crazy Person

Post by NorthernComfort » Sun Jul 02, 2017 6:14 pm

Stay safe out there Raptor... crazy times.

I'm so sick of NYC gun laws. I just want a p226 to keep in the house, and to not undergo anal probes from NYPD's finest officers to get it. I don't really want to gamble with the laws, but why should I have to be fingerprinted and investigated to legally buy a gun?

Fuck de blasio, fuck cuomo. This city has some good parts but damn it's a shitty price to pay.
"I guess I have a gift for expressing pedestrian tastes. In a way, it's kind of depressing." -Bill Watterson

Deacon
Shining Adonis

Post by Deacon » Tue Jul 04, 2017 5:00 pm

Well the good news is that you probably will never need it. The bad news is that if you do, while you can use it, even if you do so effectively, you've now protected yourself with an illegal gun. Because prohibition is the answer, you're now in deep shit potentially as well. Does NY/NYC have laws against lending firearms to friends and family, like Hawaii does? If not someone could "lend" you one.

Land of the free. Home of the brave.
The follies which a man regrets the most in his life are those which he didn't commit when he had the opportunity. - Helen Rowland, A Guide to Men, 1922

raptor9k
Crazy Person

Post by raptor9k » Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:34 pm

I always err on the side of judged by 12 vs carried by six. Obviously, stay within the law if at all possible.
I'm putting my talents and skills to use for a business so that I receive compensatory funds that I may then choose to spend and invest and save as I see fit. If I choose to blow it all on hookers and Dr. Seuss books, I don't see how that means you owe me a comfortable retirement. - Deacon

NorthernComfort
Crazy Person

Post by NorthernComfort » Wed Jul 05, 2017 7:19 pm

Yeah, I agree on following the law. If my goal is peace of mind, having a felony hanging over my head probably isn't the right strategy. I'll probably settle for the shotgun/rifle permit, which is still pretty ridiculous to get, but much less onerous than the handgun permit.

There are some parts in the NYSAFE Act that pertain to lending firearms to immediate family members, but only if both parties have the valid permits. Other terms and conditions™ may apply.

I'm also thinking of keeping one outside the city but close enough that I could get to it in an hour or 2- New Jersey, or slightly upstate. Not much help in the home invasion scenario, but at least some peace of mind in that I could have access to one should the semi-imminent need arise. I'm not much reassured by the rest of the country to stay sane these days, and sadly I live in the epicenter of liberalism and I've started taking random threats much more seriously.
"I guess I have a gift for expressing pedestrian tastes. In a way, it's kind of depressing." -Bill Watterson

Deacon
Shining Adonis

Post by Deacon » Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:30 pm

Seems like liberals vs conservatives these days comes down to disagreement over which areas they are passionately prohibitionist.
The follies which a man regrets the most in his life are those which he didn't commit when he had the opportunity. - Helen Rowland, A Guide to Men, 1922

NorthernComfort
Crazy Person

Post by NorthernComfort » Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:49 pm

We can unite the people with gifts of guns and dildos. The gifting ceremonies will be legendary.

Deacon
Shining Adonis

Post by Deacon » Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:46 am

It would be magical. Weed gummies and gay weddings for everyone!

PS You'd think conservatives would be more in favor of gay and trans people since they won't need to occasionally pursue abortions.

FirebirdNC
Mad Hatteras

Post by FirebirdNC » Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:15 am

Life Update, since I know you guys are desperate to know. This will officially be my last season at the deli (my 10th BTW). The lady who bakes wedding cakes at the deli has offered to buy it. It will be for less than half of what I owe, but it's a hit I am willing to take to get some of my life back. We are currently fixing up our house to put it on the market which will hopefully sell for enough to cover the deli debt and leave us a bit to move and build with. I am bittersweet about it since I have had some great times there and I have a great crew that I will miss working with. My husband who had a really bad winter/spring is doing much better and has a new job. Kinda nervous about what this will bring and how much is dependent on my house selling in the next year but I am hopeful for the best.
~Insert clever bon mot here~

Deacon
Shining Adonis

Post by Deacon » Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:22 pm

Almost nothing in life can be left behind without missing at least some aspect or person. But it sounds like you may be closing the book on a very trying chapter of your life, which I'm really happy to hear. Any solid plans yet of where you'll go? I seem to recall Charlotte, but I could easily be mistaken.

FirebirdNC
Mad Hatteras

Post by FirebirdNC » Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:41 pm

We are hoping to find work around Greenville, NC as my Dad has several acres there. He has said we can build there if we want.

Rorschach
Crazy Person

Post by Rorschach » Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:30 am

A brave move. I wish you all the best with it. :)
To Let

Deacon
Shining Adonis

Post by Deacon » Thu Jul 27, 2017 3:36 pm

Ah, so you're not abandoning the coastal area altogether. Good luck!

FirebirdNC
Mad Hatteras

Post by FirebirdNC » Fri Jul 28, 2017 5:06 pm

It's about 3 hours inland so doable if I feel the need to put my toes in the ocean :).

FirebirdNC
Mad Hatteras

Post by FirebirdNC » Sun Jul 30, 2017 3:13 pm

So life has kicked Hatteras Island in the teeth again http://www.witn.com/content/news/Major- ... 53273.html I would say conservatively I am at a $5K loss right now with only more coming. This is the peak of our season and even one day out is a disaster, but they are talking about possible weeks. I just cannot fucking get ahead.