Songs you should listen to

Play it? Watch it? Listen to it? Post it! Discuss Movies, TV, DVDs, CDs, and Evangelion! Compare Computer, Video, Pen & Paper, Sports, and any other games you want. Most anything entertaining is fair game.
Cyberliger777
Crazy Person

Re: Songs you should listen to

Post by Cyberliger777 » Mon Jul 13, 2015 7:49 pm

Are we going to bring Japanese and Korean music into this now? In that case...

I present Exist Trace. They are an all female metal band from Japan.

And I give you High And Might Color.

Rorschach
Crazy Person

Post by Rorschach » Mon Jul 13, 2015 8:01 pm

The name of the group is AKB48, and they've been one of Japan's top groups for over ten years.

Good lord. She must have been about seven when they started out.

Anyway, that was strange. I didn't much care for that last song, yet could not switch off the video.

I don't know who this is. I suspect she's one of you colonials, but I loved this performance on Jools Holland.

To Let

Deacon
Shining Adonis

Post by Deacon » Mon Jul 13, 2015 9:26 pm

https://www.google.com/search?q=devon+sproule
Cyberliger777 wrote:Are we going to bring Japanese and Korean music into this now? In that case...
I've never understood the fascination of nerdy white dudes with Japanese and Korean music. Even the legit anime fans.
I present Exist Trace. They are an all female metal band from Japan.
Calling that metal is...generous? Misguided? They're like Collective Soul with chunkier guitars and more elaborate costumes for the camera. Like they were assembled and decorated for a an animated documentary series for tweens. There's no soul to it. At least give me some angst; you don't have to even come up with anger or malevolence or whatever else.
And I give you High And Might Color.
84.6% of all anime title sequences are set to this song. At least the energy is earnest :)
The follies which a man regrets the most in his life are those which he didn't commit when he had the opportunity. - Helen Rowland, A Guide to Men, 1922

Cyberliger777
Crazy Person

Post by Cyberliger777 » Tue Jul 14, 2015 3:14 am

Deacon wrote:
Cyberliger777 wrote:Are we going to bring Japanese and Korean music into this now? In that case...
I've never understood the fascination of nerdy white dudes with Japanese and Korean music. Even the legit anime fans.
I only like these two band due to randomly having the chance to see them in concert and meet them personally about 5 years ago.
Deacon wrote:
Cyberliger777 wrote:I present Exist Trace. They are an all female metal band from Japan.
Calling that metal is...generous? Misguided? They're like Collective Soul with chunkier guitars and more elaborate costumes for the camera. Like they were assembled and decorated for a an animated documentary series for tweens. There's no soul to it. At least give me some angst; you don't have to even come up with anger or malevolence or whatever else.
Better?
Deacon wrote:
Cyberliger777 wrote:And I give you High And Might Color.
84.6% of all anime title sequences are set to this song. At least the energy is earnest :)
Are they? I am bad at noticing background music to band.

Deacon
Shining Adonis

Post by Deacon » Tue Jul 14, 2015 4:43 pm

Cyberliger777 wrote:Better?
Yes. If you took out the melody and vocals it's a lot more believable. I think it's hard to pull off clear, feminine vocals as it is (Amy Lee being one of the better known exceptions), but for some reason the melody seems incongruous.
The follies which a man regrets the most in his life are those which he didn't commit when he had the opportunity. - Helen Rowland, A Guide to Men, 1922

Deacon
Shining Adonis

Post by Deacon » Tue Jul 14, 2015 10:15 pm

FirebirdNC
Mad Hatteras

Post by FirebirdNC » Wed Jul 15, 2015 11:32 am

I see nada Deacon.
~Insert clever bon mot here~

Rorschach
Crazy Person

Post by Rorschach » Wed Jul 15, 2015 3:26 pm

Me either. I assumed it was my phone but I can see the videos above.
To Let

Deacon
Shining Adonis

Post by Deacon » Thu Jul 16, 2015 5:45 am

YouTube tag removed and replaced with URL tag.

EvilElf
Crazy Person
Omnicode: 01001000 01100101 01101100 01110000 00100000 01110100 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01100100 00100000 01101001 01101110 00100000 01101000 01100101 01110010 01100101 00100001

Post by EvilElf » Thu Jul 16, 2015 7:40 pm

I really enjoy having this song on in the background while working on mindless tasks.

BtEO
Crazy Person

Post by BtEO » Thu Jul 16, 2015 7:41 pm

Deacon wrote:
I'm not sure I could fully explain it.

On the surface it seems little different from much of the US/UK manufactured music industry (which with a few exceptions is largely insipid) but one thing that helps is not having to understand what's being sung — so many of the terrible messages that are probably there (i.e. ones akin to One Direction's borderline negging on "What Makes You Beautiful") just fly right past me. It also helps that the industry is a lot more open about how manufactured they are over there; they take full ownership of that shit. There is also more variety than might seem to be the case at first.

So here are a few of my current k-pop jams:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4i32ANEa5mk

Because I'm a sucker for an interesting voice:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJMWhJdjlpg

In English, for some reason:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6Mns7IbRFE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4_rwTytAOs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HYuUWBv69C8

And as a side note have a funny Anna Kendrick video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7VVERnrVTW8

Deacon
Shining Adonis

Post by Deacon » Fri Jul 17, 2015 9:46 pm

Elfy, that's not a song. That's a single-track album!

BtEO, the one in English could really be any generic American female pop song. Could've been done by anyone from Beyoncé to Ariana Grande. I'm wondering if that's the idea, maybe trying to make it in the rest of the world? Or maybe they just pulled a song off the shelf and recorded it...

BtEO
Crazy Person

Post by BtEO » Sat Jul 18, 2015 1:57 am

Deacon wrote:BtEO, the one in English could really be any generic American female pop song. Could've been done by anyone from Beyoncé to Ariana Grande. I'm wondering if that's the idea, maybe trying to make it in the rest of the world? Or maybe they just pulled a song off the shelf and recorded it...
At last look it seemed to be their only song in English (aside from that odd tendency to insert words or whole lines of English at random into the lyrics) and it's more likely meant for westerners who are already fans of the Asian scene rather than trying to grow a separate fanbase. I'm presuming no specific slight was meant to Beyoncé or Ariana Grande, they both do good stuff.

Like I say, there's no fully coherent explanation as to why it seems more likeable — though it's by no means universal, my method of discovery is largely 'related videos' on YouTube and there's been plenty of groups or songs that I've not liked.

If anything all this has softened me a little on more local pop too, and I've always tried not to be that person that gets to a certain age and writes off all music made after that point.

Deacon
Shining Adonis

Post by Deacon » Sat Jul 18, 2015 4:10 pm

No "slight" was intended toward anyone.

Rorschach
Crazy Person

Post by Rorschach » Sat Jul 18, 2015 5:16 pm

BtEO wrote:
If anything all this has softened me a little on more local pop too, and I've always tried not to be that person that gets to a certain age and writes off all music made after that point.
I am becoming much less precious about pop as I get older. I suppose the pretensions of the teenage years where it's not cool to like anything mainstream and you'd have to dump a band just because other people had heard of them must fade over time. And in evidence to that, I'm going to post one of my favourite pop songs of the last ten years. It's got quite an eighties vibe to it.

God, look at them. They're so wholesome.

Also, here's some modern Scottish folky stuff.

To Let