Songs you should listen to

Play it? Watch it? Listen to it? Post it! Discuss Movies, TV, DVDs, CDs, and Evangelion! Compare Computer, Video, Pen & Paper, Sports, and any other games you want. Most anything entertaining is fair game.
Deacon
Shining Adonis

Songs you should listen to

Post by Deacon » Thu Jun 25, 2015 7:23 pm

Ever come across a song and think, "You know, more people should hear this!" Well, this gives you the chance.

I'll start it off with a fairly crude audience recording of Dan Tyminski of Alison Krauss and Union Station fame. It's rare that I remember, but when I find myself set down in the dark shadow of the overlapping Venn circles of Blues and Bluegrass, it makes me so happy.

The follies which a man regrets the most in his life are those which he didn't commit when he had the opportunity. - Helen Rowland, A Guide to Men, 1922

The Cid
Crazy Person

Re: Songs you should listen to

Post by The Cid » Fri Jun 26, 2015 8:32 pm

Here's one for the internet's attitude on just about everything:
Hirschof wrote:I'm waiting for day you people start thinking with portals.

EvilElf
Crazy Person
Omnicode: 01001000 01100101 01101100 01110000 00100000 01110100 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01100100 00100000 01101001 01101110 00100000 01101000 01100101 01110010 01100101 00100001

Post by EvilElf » Fri Jun 26, 2015 8:49 pm

Babymetal take jPop and meld it with jmetal.

Deacon
Shining Adonis

Post by Deacon » Sun Jun 28, 2015 7:11 am

So weird.
The follies which a man regrets the most in his life are those which he didn't commit when he had the opportunity. - Helen Rowland, A Guide to Men, 1922

Rorschach
Crazy Person

Post by Rorschach » Sun Jun 28, 2015 9:59 am

That video made my peepee feel funny. Some nice stuff here so far. I've been listening to The Barr Brothers of late since I caught them on television. I love this kind of guitar set-up, interlaced and intricate and having obviously had a lot of work gone into it. This kind of has echoes of Paul Simon about it, which is no bad thing.

I'm also trying to get people to listen to The National. It's like what happens when Joy Division meet The Devine Comedy. I really like their drummer.

To Let

Deacon
Shining Adonis

Post by Deacon » Sun Jun 28, 2015 4:19 pm

That Barr Brothers song sounds like it came along just a little too late to be used in the Scrubs soundtrack.

The Cid
Crazy Person

Post by The Cid » Sun Jun 28, 2015 5:24 pm

Here's a song from Brad Barr's previous band, who I remember seeing a couple of times in college.

Deacon
Shining Adonis

Post by Deacon » Sun Jun 28, 2015 5:56 pm

I kept waiting for the song to start.

Arc Orion
Crazy Person
Omnicode: sxy cm175 kg108 esO.contacts sp= Ag1985.September.20 anE hdd Lo47,226614N-122,46152W Rl! Kd! MBINTP FH! IN10 AdI PrC(2)^(8)

Post by Arc Orion » Sat Jul 04, 2015 2:04 am

I'm a pretty big fan of Ronald Jenkees. He's recently produced a new song, Try the Bass. It's a bit meandering, but lots of fun, especially if you're into electronic music in general.
I need fewer water.

FirebirdNC
Mad Hatteras

Post by FirebirdNC » Sat Jul 04, 2015 12:10 pm

Some great music suggestions that I actually wrote down so I would remember to put them on my ipod later haha. The National reminded me of one of my favorite singers who has a voice like warm honey. He is known for the True Blood theme song but he has several more songs that I love. I couldn't find an official video so this will have to do. Seriously if I could make out with a voice this would be the one :D

~Insert clever bon mot here~

Rorschach
Crazy Person

Post by Rorschach » Mon Jul 06, 2015 9:20 am

Deacon wrote:I kept waiting for the song to start.
I'm going to go head and guess that if this came from an EP or album, it's the first track on there. There's a two minute almost tune-up opening Sleeping Operator which segways really nicely into the second track. Pretty though.
Arc Orion wrote:I'm a pretty big fan of Ronald Jenkees. He's recently produced a new song, Try the Bass. It's a bit meandering, but lots of fun, especially if you're into electronic music in general.
That was actually quite interesting to watch. Although I'm not that big a fan of electronic music, I quite enjoyed seeing part of how it's made. I'm curious as to what his left hand was doing for much of the time. Is that a pitch-shifter he's using? Seemed to get the same effect as a tremolo arm on an electric guitar.
FirebirdNC wrote: The National reminded me of one of my favorite singers who has a voice like warm honey. He is known for the True Blood theme song but he has several more songs that I love. I couldn't find an official video so this will have to do. Seriously if I could make out with a voice this would be the one
Goodness me. Voice envy once again. Seems like one of the times when a voice finds perfectly its genre.

This is irresistibly bonkers and worth a watch even if only for the video which won some award or other.

To Let

The Cid
Crazy Person

Post by The Cid » Mon Jul 06, 2015 3:06 pm

Rorschach wrote:I'm going to go head and guess that if this came from an EP or album, it's the first track on there.
It is, but I have a giant playlist of instrumentals that I have on while I'm working during the day, so it's what came to mind. The Slip also had a song on the first Guitar Hero, but otherwise never really made it. Glad to see Brad Barr went on to bigger and better things though.
Arc Orion wrote:I'm a pretty big fan of Ronald Jenkees.
One of my favorite podcasts used a Ronald Jenkees song as its theme, but the person who hosted it was fired a little while back, so right now Ronald Jenkees just makes me a little sad.

Arc Orion
Crazy Person
Omnicode: sxy cm175 kg108 esO.contacts sp= Ag1985.September.20 anE hdd Lo47,226614N-122,46152W Rl! Kd! MBINTP FH! IN10 AdI PrC(2)^(8)

Post by Arc Orion » Mon Jul 06, 2015 8:53 pm

Rorschach wrote:That was actually quite interesting to watch. Although I'm not that big a fan of electronic music, I quite enjoyed seeing part of how it's made. I'm curious as to what his left hand was doing for much of the time. Is that a pitch-shifter he's using? Seemed to get the same effect as a tremolo arm on an electric guitar.
I think he's got a few things over there, but one of those will typically be a pitch-shifter, yeah. Most of his sampler stuff is over there, too.
The Cid wrote:One of my favorite podcasts used a Ronald Jenkees song as its theme, but the person who hosted it was fired a little while back, so right now Ronald Jenkees just makes me a little sad.
That sucks. Why'd the fire a person with such awesome taste in music?
I need fewer water.

Deacon
Shining Adonis

Post by Deacon » Tue Jul 07, 2015 4:24 pm

He has several controls over there, and a pitch shifter would certainly be one of them. But I think he's mostly operating the modulation wheel.

Seir
Crazy Person

Post by Seir » Mon Jul 13, 2015 6:13 pm

If you've seen Wreck-It-Ralph, you'll probably remember the song "Sugar Rush."

The name of the group is AKB48, and they've been one of Japan's top groups for over ten years. It's a bit of a guilty pleasure, but a lot of their songs are strangely catchy. So anyways, here's the song and video that introduced me to them. If you want to know what they're singing about, you can turn on closed captions for English subtitles.

One of their earlier hits, video slightly NSFW

Yo Mav, I'm real happy for you and Imma let you finish but Hirschoff had the best sig trends of all time.