Who watches Doctor Who

Play it? Watch it? Listen to it? Post it! Discuss Movies, TV, DVDs, CDs, and Evangelion! Compare Computer, Video, Pen & Paper, Sports, and any other games you want. Most anything entertaining is fair game.
FirebirdNC
Mad Hatteras

Re: Who watches Doctor Who

Post by FirebirdNC » Mon Nov 30, 2015 11:44 am

Agreed, one of the things I have always enjoyed about this show is their ability to have a fun and quirky Doctor who also has this really dark side as well. I think Heaven Sent was a great example of this.
~Insert clever bon mot here~

JermCool
Crazy Person
Omnicode: ---------------------- OmniCode 0.1.6 -----------------------
sxy cm182 kg76 skeaaf73 ha150c0d.382720_in_summer ey6195b5 esO.glasses sp= Ag1976 anE hdd Lo36,5N-115,10W ZoP RlM Kd2y0x.step PeD.x2&C.x_lots&F.x5&B MBINFJ FH! UFGreg IN8 AdC&N&I PrQuickBASIC(7)^(7)
----------- Omnicode http://www.gadgeteer.net/omnicode/ -----------

Post by JermCool » Tue Dec 01, 2015 1:11 am

Bloody kiwis.

"The internet is bullcrap! And everyone on it is retarded!" - Muspar
"All threads should degenerate into the bumming of JermCool." - Rorschach

Seir
Crazy Person

Post by Seir » Tue Dec 08, 2015 7:46 am

Another season over. What did everyone think? And here's something for nostalgia's sake.

Yo Mav, I'm real happy for you and Imma let you finish but Hirschoff had the best sig trends of all time.

JermCool
Crazy Person
Omnicode: ---------------------- OmniCode 0.1.6 -----------------------
sxy cm182 kg76 skeaaf73 ha150c0d.382720_in_summer ey6195b5 esO.glasses sp= Ag1976 anE hdd Lo36,5N-115,10W ZoP RlM Kd2y0x.step PeD.x2&C.x_lots&F.x5&B MBINFJ FH! UFGreg IN8 AdC&N&I PrQuickBASIC(7)^(7)
----------- Omnicode http://www.gadgeteer.net/omnicode/ -----------

Post by JermCool » Tue Dec 08, 2015 6:07 pm

I forgave Moffat for the episode before last.
Spoiler: (click to reveal/hide)
Semi-immortal Clara I can handle.
I am now ready to accept Capaldi as The Doctor. This season really cemented him as the man for the job. It was just so...convoluted last season.
Spoiler: (click to reveal/hide)
And thank the Time Lords for bringing back the sonic screwdriver! The Ray-Bans were just too goofy. The Doctor needs three things: The TARDIS, the companion, and his sonic screwdriver.
I'm looking forward to the Christmas special. River Song FTW!
"The internet is bullcrap! And everyone on it is retarded!" - Muspar
"All threads should degenerate into the bumming of JermCool." - Rorschach

gravity
Crazy Person

Post by gravity » Wed Dec 09, 2015 6:09 am

I enjoyed the ending. I like Me, and I really wish they would have her make a Jack comment in passing (because, even though she forgets, it would be amusing for Jack to be the one person she never forgets). I'm really looking forward to seeing a normal companion though, it would be nice for someone who wasn't super special to travel along with the Doctor. Someone more like Rory rather than Donna, who would just role his eyes and correct the Doctor and remind him not try to not cause an incident for once.

Rorschach
Crazy Person

Post by Rorschach » Wed Dec 09, 2015 12:21 pm

I'm a few episodes behind so thank you for not spoiling but the last criticism is something that's being thrown at Doctor Who a lot in the last few years: The Doctor being more and more reliant on his companion, be it Saint Rose, the Doctor-Donna - a phrase which makes me want to be sick - or Clara-Sue. I'm very much in agreement with you. I would like a realistic companion for once. Someone who would react in the same way as the rest of us i.e. not a never-ending list of bon mots, Doctorly reprimands, or getting involved in The Doctor's timeline (WTF) but rather someone who bumbles along, occassionally going 'Dude! That's, like, an alien!'

Unfortumnately the winds seem to be blowing more and more towards a more human Doctor and a less human companion.

I don't care if I relate to the Doctor or not.
To Let

gravity
Crazy Person

Post by gravity » Wed Dec 09, 2015 1:38 pm

Yes. You're not supposed to relate to the Doctor, how do you begin to relate to someone who's over two thousand years old!? You can't. Feeling sorry for him is okay. Feeling angry with him is okay. But relating with him just doesn't work. Or, at least, it shouldn't. It's the human companion that should be related to. They should be able to snap the Doctor out of his 'oh, this is perfectly normal, who doesn't think juggling goslings is normal?' act and remind him that nearly everyone in the universe simply isn't him on his scale.

Seir
Crazy Person

Post by Seir » Thu Dec 10, 2015 5:53 am

Hopefully, Moffat has run out of ways to make the companions super unique and we can hope for someone more normal this time around. I wouldn't mind someone from the actual past like Jaime or Victoria. If not, I'll at least settle for someone along the lines of Ace

Yo Mav, I'm real happy for you and Imma let you finish but Hirschoff had the best sig trends of all time.

Rorschach
Crazy Person

Post by Rorschach » Sun Dec 13, 2015 6:54 pm

Seir wrote:Re: Heaven Sent

Cripes, those skull and then finding out the source of those skulls! Episodes like this reminds me that Moffat has always been great when writing individual episodes.

EDIT: I would also like to add that Capaldi's episode confirms Capaldi as having the presence of a classic Doctor.
Jeezum Crow. That was an incredible episode.

Although I'm still not sure how he got there, where he was, or how he ended up where he did at the end.
To Let

gravity
Crazy Person

Post by gravity » Sun Dec 13, 2015 6:57 pm

Rorschach wrote:
Although I'm still not sure how he got there, where he was, or how he ended up where he did at the end.
He was teleported there by an unknown, he was in his own confession dial, and he punched through the seal on his confession dial to escape to Gallifrey. The entire punching through the seal of his own confession dial is a bit wibbly, but it's Time Lord technology so I'll allow for some wibbly.

Rorschach
Crazy Person

Post by Rorschach » Sun Dec 13, 2015 7:05 pm

Thank you. I swear, if Doctor Who was on on a school night, I'd follow it much better.

What's a confession dial?
To Let

Seir
Crazy Person

Post by Seir » Sun Dec 13, 2015 8:12 pm

According to Tardis Wikia:
a small, circular disk used as part of a Gallifreyan ritual act of purification. It allowed a dying Time Lord to face their demons and make their peace before their mind is uploaded to the Matrix. It was often referred to as the last will and testament of a Time Lord. According to ancient tradition, it was to be delivered to their closest friend on the eve of their final day.

Seir
Crazy Person

Post by Seir » Wed Feb 01, 2017 7:59 am

Capaldi is leaving. I really wish he would've stayed on longer.

Rorschach
Crazy Person

Post by Rorschach » Wed Feb 01, 2017 9:41 am

Me too. But he felt like he was in the wrong era. I hope they don't go down the geekhunk route again.

Although it'll be a lady. Let's not pretend otherwise.

Anyway. Just as long as it's not Eddie fucking Izzard.
To Let

Deacon
Shining Adonis

Post by Deacon » Wed Feb 01, 2017 4:25 pm

Hahaha what's wrong with Eddie Izzard??
The follies which a man regrets the most in his life are those which he didn't commit when he had the opportunity. - Helen Rowland, A Guide to Men, 1922